1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Livin' the Dream...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sundogue, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Just not my thing. If it's your thing, then go for it. Everyone is good at, and loves, some kind of occupation. I just can't sit in front of a computer for very long before going stir-crazy.

What little I've done was fun...but I think I only felt that way because I only did a little. :)

One of my friends at work loves doing what I do (and he is the one taking over my position). He loves this work, and so for him it's a perfect fit. For now anyway. I want him to get back to me in ten years to see if he still feels the same way. He's young and full of exuberance for the job. Good for him...he'll need it! :D

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    No, I was responsible for entire networks, servers, routers, workstations, LANS, WANS, etc.

I did very little programming, and in fact I was even the support for programmers themselves.

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    ah.

I just took an AP programming course at high school. Passed with an A. Loved every second of it.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    PEBCAK issues.

Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

And I have worked for better places...not all IT jobs suck (all the time anyway).

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

It's a great field for a young guy.

- You have to learn new skills regularly to stay up to date. You continually have to develop yourself as there are new technologies emerging all the time, and you never know which one will stick.
    - The volatility of the IT field gives you a chance to have a breadth of experience in a variety of situations. Even though job security isn't the best, you can readily move within various industries since IT is now involved in many business, non-profit, and artistic activities. Plus, you have the ability to work for yourself with very little overhead.
    - You get to use your enthusiasm and energy into solving problems and creating solutions. Sometimes you get a great feeling of accomplishment when you've faced a challenge head on and came out victorious. You also get wiser and stronger from those buggers that keep you up for days.
    - You get paid pretty well. Not too many other fields pay as well out of the gate, and have high ceilings without requiring advanced degrees or management positions.

But as you get older,
    - Your desire to learn a new programming language, operating system, add-on, new version, etc. decreases. Haven't we had enough of this? When am I gonna get time to take that class?
    - Once you have a wife and family, the volatility of the job market is hard to deal with. Many of us trade in security for leading edge.
    - The desire and abilty to stay up til 4AM living off of Mt. Dews and Twinkies greatly diminishes. My body just can't take that much anymore like I once did. And wait til the wife has to cancel a fun activity due to some "issue".
    - You learn that money isn't everything, and there are other things you'd rather do than sit in front of a computer all day. The bones get creaky if we sit around too long.
    - You want to take on new challenges that make you into a whole being, and not just an "expert"

But that is all just my opinion, and stuff my friends in the field talk about as we age in it.

Best of luck in it. We gripe, but there are definitely worse ways to pay the bills.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It's always easier to think the grass is greener elsewhere, but sometimes it not only is greener, there is free lawn care service with it too! :D

Do what you love. If you can't, then do what you like until you can do what you love. And if you can't do that, do what you can tolerate until you can find what you like to do.

There are always trade-offs, but I know from experience it is far easier to just settle and live a life that is less than ideal. It takes courage to just jump in and live a life with purpose and fulfillment. But it is so worthwhile to do so.

7. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    WOW, you are lucky to be living the dream! We should all be so lucky! Congratulations!

I'm still working on getting out of a cube. I hate Corporate America!

I like your work. It's pretty amazing!

8. Strange Sun, I'm not all that active on TB, but I love reading your posts as they're full of life and good attitude. Strange because, despite not being on here in a good while, I found myself wondering how you were fairing today. I forgot about it until I just got on and saw this thread. Glad to see you're doing very well!

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks.

The only way one can live their dream is to first have one (obviously), and then have a clear idea on how to achieve that. For me, I needed three things to fall into place...Money, time and space.

I got a huge art project that will pay me half a year's salary, which freed me to leave my job and not worry about money for a good while (not that I worry about money anyway). That also gives me the time to devote to my art and to re-establish my career.

The last part of the equation was taken care of by the purchase of a farm out in some very beautiful country. I have a three car garage, a 40ft. X 80ft. building, and a huge barn to pick from for my studio. I have enough space to do any kind of art I want.

I've been working towards this "falling into place" for a long time, and really anyone can live their dream, but playing it safe will either postpone it, or prevent it entirely. It's all up to you.

I used to focus on what I hated about my job, my life, etc. But once I started dwelling on and focusing on what I desired in life, rather than what I didn't like about it, things started to happen much quicker.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, I could be fairing much better today, seeing how it's Father's Day and I have four kids.

There is a manhunt going on in our neighborhood (since 3:00 this morning) for a guy who was pulled over for a traffic violation and got out and tried to kill the police officer.

The officer returned fire and wounded him, but the guy got in his vehicle and took off. Then he jumped out and ran. He's been on the loose ever since.

I woke up this morning and was having a cup of coffee when I looked out my window only to see about 20 members of a SWAT team with guns ready walking through my yard! :eek:

They still haven't caught him. I needed to work on moving today and I wanted to put stuff in my (detached) garage. I asked one of them if they had checked the inside of my garage. He let his dog loose inside and then went in with gun drawn. Nope, no one in there.

The whole neighborhood is blocked off and their is no exit or return. Which kind of sucks as we were going to grill out today, but we have NO groceries. And we can't get any because if we leave the neighborhood, we will not be allowed back in.

Happy Father's Day to all. :D

11. hey man break a leg with it break a leg with it

how about a painting thrown around pork-n-beans girls and guns ;^).

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    After what has happened last night and today...guns are not something I really want to think about. I have four kids, and while our neighborhood is quite secure (with all the local, county and state police in the neighborhood) we know that the only slight chance this fugitive has to even make an attempt to get away is possibly by taking a hostage.

Most of us in the neighborhood feel pretty safe and we are all going about our normal life right now (mowing yards, etc.), but we're also not letting our kids go out of sight, and even then they have to stick together.

Girls and pork and beans? Sure. Guns? That ain't very cool.

They have now allowed us to leave and return to our neighborhood, but we need ID and they are inspecting vehicles going in and out.

It's in the upper 80's right now and I feel bad for the cops as they are in full gear with flak jackets, etc. We've been handing out ice water to all the cops that are stationed by us and they are quite appreciative. Not half as appreciative as we are that they are here though.

Planes and helicopters have been circling our neighborhood all day. What a weird Father's Day.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I just want to say that everytime Sundogue talks, it's like he's imparting some zen wisdom upon Talkbass or something. My philosophy has always been that life's too short to spend it doing something that you hate. He's a great example of going for a dream. I'm a big advocate of having an internal locus of control. There are three types of people in this world. 1. Those can lack the a capacity to dream 2. Those who dream but do nothing about it 3. Those who dream and then pursue those dreams. I've always tried to put myself in the third category.

I also agree with getting out of the IT industry. I did IT work for a while. I thought that was going to be my career. I was just out of high school and didn't know what I was suppose to do with my life. I was a business student in high school, so I went to a (very crappy) technical school and then started doing IT work. I agree that it is a very thankless job. I worked for a consulting company. Some clients were very cool, but many of them were just asshats, for lack of a better word. Some of the egos I had to deal with were out of control. I also dealt with clients who screwed things up and then blamed me for their problems. I had a client who purchased a workstation from a third party, then complained because I couldn't join it to the network. It's not my damn fault that you got a third party machine and didn't bother to get the local administrator's password with it. Though I did meet a very interesting client. He ran a very successful business and had such amazing leadership abilities. Industrial-organizational psychologists would say that he's a "transformational" leader. He had that charisma that he could talk to you and make you feel like you were the only one in the room. Even when I would call him and get his voice mail, he would conclude his message with "Make it a great day!" It always cheered me up. I suppose that fits with the theme of this thread.

Anyways, I digress. My point is that I luckily realized that IT wasn't for me long before I had to get a perscription for Prozac. I don't want to steer young cats away from the business, but a lot of what Dogue and Jive had to say is true. I like computers, but I hated all of the crap you had to deal with. Stuff could be crashing and burning all around you, but you had to put on the face that you're in control. On top of that, you sometimes had to lie to people, because if the computer isn't fixed in the 9.43 seconds that they expect it to be, they might get pissy or think that you're incompetent. The short tenure at the crappy tech school (it was a 9 month course) was a blessing in disguise. I didn't waste two or four years on an actual degree in a field I'd hate. Instead, I went to university and it's one of the best decisions that I've ever made. I'll be applying to grad school in a few months. I don't see the IT venture as a mistake, because it made me realize what I really value and want to do in life.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks much.

I agree that there are way too many people living their life on "auto-pilot", never understanding that their life is in their control. They think of life as random, chaotic, coincidental and feel every single thing that goes on in and around their life is all circumstance. They just let life go on and do nothing more than react, instead of taking action on their own behalf.

They are the same people who have no dreams, or if they do they believe they are dreams that will never come true. They are also the same people who never fully enjoy anything because they feel that some type of doom awaits around the corner. They also blame something, or someone else for all their problems.

In short, they are the same people who make life miserable for IT support. :D

I liked the challenge of IT support, but most of the people I had to deal with were like those described above. They would never admit to messing up their computer...it had to be the computer itself, or me.

This last company I worked for wasn't too bad of a "job", but the boss always put the customer first, even when there was no reason to. Worse yet, he couldn't prioritize and his "customer first" policy meant every customer was the number one priority...clearly impossible. He cared less about his employees and thier families, and more about money. I understand the importance of customers and their value to any company, but his "life" priorities were f'ed up.

My family comes first. Given a choice between taking care of a sick child, for example, was more important to me than the biggest customer. Like I told my boss...when you are lying on your death bed, don't count on a single customer paying you a visit...and given the way he treats his employees and even his own family, he shouldn't really count on anyone being there. So sad.

When someone has a dream, I say Go for it!!! Find a way, somehow, some way to make it happen, even if it doesn't right away...keep putting the pieces to that dream puzzle together. Because as LM put it...life is just way too short...and it will be over with before you even realize it's too late to do anything about your dreams.

15. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    Yeah, I know being a network admin can ruin your life. I got away from that 24/7 situation about 18 months ago. Life is much better now.

I am happy that you are finally getting to do what you enjoy. If you love what you do and can pay the bills from it, you are "Livin the Dream"

Enjoy your Vacation and your new career !

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The project I was hired for is really an ongoing one that will take me around the country for a couple of weeks at a time working on separate, but similar art. It involves painting the backdrops for large museum quality dioramas. I can literally work for only three months out of the year and make more money than I make now...and take the other nine months off completely if I wanted to.

Not that I want to take that time off. I have thousands of dollars worth of limited edition prints to market as well (not including future prints to sell that I have put off). I also have almost half that much commissioned work that is backlogged for things like murals on semi-trucks, motorcycle tanks, helmets, etc. that I just couldn't take on before.

I am basically set financially for at least two years minimum (depending on lifestyle ;) ). It will allow me to explore so many other types of art projects I have always had to pass on because I had neither the time, nor the space to take them on.

A bonus is being able to also paint what I want to paint without even thinking of it being anything commercially successful. But the best part is having the time to spend with my family, and being there for my kids and watching my beautiful little two year old daughter grow up. I can dedicate my life to my family and to my art and be in control over what work to accept, and on my terms.

Yup, living the dream. :D

17. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

What are some details? Is this to be mostly an observatory for astrophotography or will you be doing "serious" type observing ;) (comet hunting, extragalactic supernova, asteroid/star occultations, other...) or just plain for the pleasure of looking?

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It will mostly be an observatory for observing and astrophotography. My main interest lies in nebulae, though I do enjoy planetary study. The storms on Jupiter (as well as the movement of it's moons) are amazing to watch over the course of a night. At some point I may specialize more, but this will be the first time I'll have access to truly dark skies on a regular basis as I'm moving from the city, way out in the country.

I also want to open it to the public, as I already do sky tours for small groups like scouts and school groups with my small scope. No one around here has anything like it and there are too few people who even realize what's out there. Perhaps they have gone to a planetarium, or watch Discovery or something like that, but it still seems like something they can't get a true grasp of, like they can seeing the actual object with their own eyes.

I'm going to do a lot of my astrophotography from my living room on my laptop, via my wireless network.

19. WesW

WesW <><

Jul 25, 2002
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Awesome bro.

congrats - your art is spectacular. That's fantastic that you get to return to what you love.

livin the dream indeed. Enjoy & more power to ya!

:hyper:

20. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    way to go.

This industry does so scream burnout. I've been in it for 10+ years.

At least I don't do support .. I'm a programmer .. that's one reason I switched to programming was so I didn't have to be 24x7 oncall :)

but yeah .. If I ever had the $ .. I'd take about a year off .. do nothing but get my golf game in working order to go try for pro.

Before I married the ex I was a 2 handicap .. playing a few times a week.

My daughter's now 5 .. in a few years I'm going to really start to get her involved in the game .. so we can play a few times a week, now I play about once a month. :(

Get her involved in it .. try to get her to play in junior tourneys and stuff .. high school ..

then I'll try to join the senior tour at 50 :) then i'll live my dream.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021