Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Living Colour Reunites?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Christopher, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Saw this on Zentertainment. Any idea who will be handling bass duties?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd be very surprised if it's anybody else but Doug Wimbish...

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=13563&cf=220

3. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    I donno who's gonna play bass, but man is it good to be able to see Living Colour live, man! On anouther note, I hear from a guitarist friend of mine that Mr. Wimbish is'nt going to be doing the new shows. Anyone know the facts on that?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Great News! I love L.C.. If not Doug, they should get Muzz Skillings. He was the original bassist, after all.

Will C.:cool:

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I heard Muzz got kicked out for excessive drug use...is that fact or fiction? You guys just made my day, I always wanted to see them live. Calhoun, Reid, and Glover are kick ass too. Muzz or Doug would be cool.

6. I just saw an ad for their gig at the Crystal Ballroom here in Portland. The ad says "All Original Line-up" so that would lead me to believe it's Muzz Skillings who is playing bass. There is also a picture with the ad but it's too small to tell who's who. :)

BTW, I saw them right around the time 'Vivid' came out and they were awsome!:D

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Vivid and Time's Up are a couple of heavy albums; 'bout a month ago, I spun Time's Up...some very Avant-Rock stuff(Vernon Reid's influence, I presume?). "Funny Vibe" from Vivid...Funk with a capital "F", maybe?

Metallica diehards should give these guys a listen or two. ;)

8. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I understand Muzz Skillings will be on bass,

9. it'll be great to see Muzz Skillings back - his "ology" solo was the first recording I heard multi-tracked bass on.

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey, GREAT NEWS!!!

Definitely one of my all-time favorite bands. Any tour dates on the east coast yet?

Glad to see Muzz back, always dug his playing (though Wimbish is killer too). Ology was great and so was the solo he took in "Broken Hearts" from Vivid, very melodic. Oh, and the band played a groove for him while he soloed on that one, WHAT A CONCEPT. Will someone PLEASE explain that concept to the bands I play in? :rolleyes: ;) Great groove player as well.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    "Oh, and the band played a groove for him while he soloed on that one, WHAT A CONCEPT. Will someone PLEASE explain that concept to the bands I play in? Great groove player as well."-Gard

YEAH, Have whomever gets that concept through to your band come speak to mine!!!!!!

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I saw them live once, with Doug on bass. That would be cool to see them with Muzz!

13. That's cool, I have Vivid and Times Up and they are both pretty cool albums. I don't know what they were smoking when they made "I Want to Know" though :D! They broke up before I was a teenager, so it'll be cool to either see them play, or hear them record new music.

14. You must be thinking of another bass player, I had heard that Muzz left to join the New York City Fire Department. It's a family thing and the rest of his family didn't understant the R&R thing.

15. I ve always wanted to see living colour, hopefully theyll make some east coast dates

16. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    Yeah I hope they make it to the east coast too.

I saw them a couple of times. Muzz was my bass hero during that time. "Broken Hearts" is my fav bass solo, I hear you there Gard. "Ology" has some really cool melodic phrases in it too despite its shortness.

I met Muzz through a college newspaper gig and he was kind of a dick. Not fun to meet your bass hero and have him be a jerk. What a bummer.

Will Calhoun is one of the best drummers I've ever seen live. I'd pay just to see him!

17. I for one am dissapointed that Doug W. won't be joining them. I loved his playing on all the Tackhead albums as well as the ON-U sound stuff including the Little Axe dub-blues stuff with the Tackhead boys. A far more prolific and innovative player than ol' Muzz (who is ok in his own right.) Check out "vernon reid, doug wimbish and william clahoun" on Napster for some wicked live instrumental w/o that silly Corey fellah.