Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Living Colour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, May 2, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Going to see Living Colour tonight! WOO HOO!!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Really?!?! I didn'nt know they were still together. If they come to NYC I'd like to see them.

3. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Have a good time. Wimbish is my personal god. The show I saw last time was fantastic.

Nino, check this out, they'll be in NYC soon

http://66.113.142.68/lctourdates.html

But no chicago show listed? We loved 'em last fall, we want them again!

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I remember when my old bandmate said, "Hey, let's cover 'Cult of Personality'! Everyone likes that song!"

I figured sure, how hard can it be?

Man, that song gave me fits. Doug Wimbish (sp?) is an impressive player.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That was Muzz Skillings. Wimbish joined later, around "Stain" if I recall correctly.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hey Joshua, please post a review tomorrow (or whenever you recover!)... L.C. has been one of my all-time favorites for a long time.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I most humbly stand corrected.

8. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    That is cool that Living Color is still together, or it looks like back together. I remember when Doug Wimbish first joined the band, he was pictured with a 12 string bass. I can't find any mention on his site about playing it anymore, so I wonder if he still does?

9. Man I love Living Colour.They are great. I hope the tour does well and gets extend so they come to Texas again. They were here around the middle of the year last year and I missed them forgot to find out what day they were playing. That really stank too.:rolleyes:

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You just wanna be able to say you're cooler, cuz you got that spiffy 15 string monstrosity of yours!!! 'Fess up!!!!! ;) :D

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Living Colour was amazing. If you wanted to hear your old favorites, you would not have been disappointed. If you wanted to hear new sounds, experiments, and a band that has evolved, you would also be in luck. Will Calhoun was quite the standout, mixing acoustic drums with samples and electronic. Doug Wimbish is a master, the perfect groove, incredible melodies/solo's, mixed with strange midi synth sounds. He used some type of odd ball effect that you hold you hand over, like a theremin with no antenna? Very cool. Vernon Reid can shred with the best of them, and actually continues to play and hold a groove when Doug or Will takes the forefront. All in all a very good show. I forgot my earplugs and I'm deaf as a post now though.

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Vivid is my all-time favorite album! I like Wimbish a lot but I really dig Muzz Skillings, He's a little more traditional and da man in my book. :D

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I tried to buy tix, but they're not avail yet. :(

14. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Blisshead . . .

They must trade that weird effect around, when I saw them last fall Vernon was using it. I've never seen Wimbish play a twelve string, he must have stopped. He almost convinces me to go Spector . . . almost.

And if you've thought about effects, Doug's got you beat, check this out . . .

http://www.dougwimbish.com/gear.html

Nino . . . make sure to get tickets, you won't be disappointed.

15. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Just cause I have the spiffy bass does not mean that I can play as well as him. :( ;)

Ditto what farboozle said. Doug has more effects than I bet even he knows what to do with.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    They were both using one, come to think of it. They both also used some keyed/midi/sample/modulation type setup.

17. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Yeah, it'd be fun to get whatever they use that allows them to trigger samples by footswitches. I kinda think my other bandmates would shorten my lifespan though. Did they play stuff from the album that they are recording?

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I think so, though they only said that the new material was a "test". It sounded quite good though. They did a lot with voice, layering vocal parts etc.

19. the 12 string was a Warwick Streamer- I think he played it on "Auslander" on the Stain album.

I saw Living Colour last year in London at The Forum - Wimbish played 4, 5 and 6 string Spector NS basses, plus an electric upright on "Love rears its ugly head" (I prefer the way Muzz Skillings played it).
    I have to admit I was pretty disappointed by the show, and the new material and all the extended dub jams. :(

20. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I saw LC twice in the early 90's..once at Lollopalooza and once on their Time's Up Tour (with Kings X opening!). Incredible band and Muzz Skillings was awesome as usual.

Anyone know what Muzz is up to these days?