Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Living on your own" (warning: rant)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Okay, so I'm talking with some college buddies. They live on their own; how cute.
    Then, come to find out, their parents pay for everything: food, utilities, rent, cleaning supplies, cable, internet (sometimes cable internet), phone bill... well, I think you see where I'm headed.

They were moaning how hard living on their own was, and how they wish they were back home. Now, to me, all that, they are home.

I was wondering for those college/out of high school/student people here on TB... how many of you live on your own vs. "live in your own place."

Don't worry, I don't hold it against you, I WISH my parents would pay my bills. I gotta pay outta pocket (my pocket) for everything, from laundry right up to rent and tuition.

What about the rest of you whippersnappers? Where do you sit?

2. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    This year (my first--next year I will live off) I live on campus. I pay for everything, except bills on my ('92) car, which was given to me by my parents, and my mom helps out with about $60/month for food. That's it. I enjoy the responsibility and being on my own but I wish I didn't have to pay so many bills all the time:( People like the buddies you're talking about really get on my nerves because they're (usually) so ignorant about what people who are actually toughing it go through. I don't complain so I don't think they should either. Is that what you're saying?

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yeah I had a few friends who had everything paid for. It was quite funny to see them complain and moan when they had EVERYTHING handed to them...tuition, place to live, car, food, clothes.

I actually heard a girl who looked like a freshman state that "A BMW is good for someone our age, while I'd probably want a benz when I'm older."

It is unfortunate that many college students have absolutely no concept of reality, or what the real world is like.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Wait till your woman moves in......you ain't seen nothin yet!!!

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm nineteen and married. Going to college, with an addiction to music gear (SuperGAS), bills, quite a bit of credit card debt(about 275 for me, 1200 for the woman), a couple of older cars, which, thankfully we own. Trailer park rent, Trailer loan payment, phone bill, cell bill, power(150 last month!!!). No cable, no long distance, except on the cell fone. Internet, and whatever other debts may arise. It's hard. I really probably shouldn't have gotten married so early. I am going to stick with it, though, unless something drastic happens. Oh, and yes, we are both going to college, so we have tose bills too. Even though it's tough, I still have to thank God fer every day he blesses me with.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It's one of those "give them an inch, they want a yard" type deals. No matter what you give them, they always want more.

Personally, I am one of the lucky ones who has a good chunk of expenses covered by my parents. They pay my tuition, gave me a car ('88 Accord), pay for rent, and help me out with food. As well off as I am, I sometimes catch myself whining about how I have to do my own laundry, or have to pay the bills out of pocket, or other petty stuff. Then I look at some of my friends who pay for everything on their own and I come back to reality.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I knew a few guys from high school who were like that. They were so used to getting whatever they wanted from their parents they never learned how to be responsible for themselves. Most of them ended up dropping out or being kicked out of school and still live with their parents, or at least off of their parents. I'd be interested to see where they end up in say 10 or 15 years.

8. I would fall into the "live in my own place but my parents pay for everything" category. And looking at it, my parents must really love me to give me everything that I have, but not a day goes by when I'm not thankful that my dad earns enough money to send me (and my brother) to USC, to pay for rent for the two of us (we live in different apartments), insurance on our cars, and everything else.

I would like to try working and earning my own money to pay for rent and everything just to see what it's like, but my parents tell my brother and me to focus on our studies first, and then when we're out of college and in the world with jobs and everything, they'll be cutting us off from the money flow.
    Which, hopefully, is an incentive for me to study harder to get better grades so I can get a better job in the future.

Oh, right. And if you're wondering, I'm not the whiny type about these things, but I do so hate having to call/email my parents to ask for more money, even though I know they'll willingly give it to me. There's just something about asking for money that I don't really like.

9. next year will be my first year in college. ill be living on campus and i should be on full scholorship and i will also have to get a job for any expenses, so i sorta understand what you mean. i know quite a few people who arent even applying for scholorships cause there parents said they will cover it all other expenses, as well as give them "spending money" :meh:

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I think I'm lucky that I've been doing my own laundry since I was 8 or 9, pay for my car insurance, paid for half of my car, and keep a job in high school. Excuses for kids who don't have jobs in high school is usually something like "I need to keep my grades up." Well, I keep my grades up and keep a job (teaching bass, so it's great money for a high school student; I also work a summer job at a warehouse). I think it's character building to do all that. It's not that my parents can't afford to do all this stuff for me, but they encouraged me to start earning my own spending money and car insurance, not to mention money to fix my 9 year old car. It pisses me off to see kids at my school, who don't have a job and get drunk every weekend (and their parents are too bone-headed to know, or too ignorant to care), driving their brand new Olds Aleros and VW New Beetles. I hate that.

11. I don't plan on going to college...

I wanna get my own place,w/ a room mate of course. I want to be independent...I don't care if I am eating Ramen Noodles in the dark :)

That'd be cool...It'll be tough,but cool.

12. 1. Special Events: When the holidays roll around, never for get that your best bet for a christmas tree is found in the landscape of your neighboring appartment complex. You know, the one that you couldn't afford. You can also find some disguaded pumpkins in store dumpsters after halloween... Pumpkin pie for thanksgiving. Lastly, newspaper makes a handy gift wrap.

2. Alchohol: Charcoal filtered vodka is that that bad, if you have pleanty of ether.

3. Cleaning Your Apartment: what ever the previous tendants didn't throw out or take with them is up for grabs. Found a lime with a wedge cut out? Name it Pacman and keep it as a pet, chances are it's sprawling with life already anyway.

4. Dealing with your Roomate's Relationships: Headphones and Nintendo drown out bed springs extremely well.

5. Food: Eating underly cooked rice will fill you right up...

6. Excuses: "I'm sorry, the hole in my floor you never fixed ate my bills."

7. Sleep: Jolt Cola

8. Bathing: Wear your clothes in the shower, this saves you trips to laundry room.

9. Laundry: see "Bathing"

10. Best plan: Savings account!

... all you really need to know is the last one

13. :D

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't really live 100% on my own, I have 2 roommates, but my mom doesn't buy me everything, so I guess I can sort of relate.(though she does pay for my schooling, and if I do well, my rent too)

anyway, my advice, Peanut Butter & Nutella Sandwiches.

for about 8 bucks you can have enough of the ingredients to mamke sandwiches for at least a weak.

I prefer to toast the bread first, sometimes I toast the nutella and peanut butter in the toaster oven.

anyway, it's a quick, tasty, and pretty nutritious meal.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'm moving to my first own place next weekend, to a small student apartment I share with one flatmate, 400 miles from my parents.

I wouldn't expect much financial problems though, goverment pays most of the rent and supports me somewhat, and my parents give me couple hundred bucks each month for food and books, so it's not like I need to work my ass off to scrape a living - except for studying of course.

Yes, I consider myself lucky.

16. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    hmm im 15 currently next september i turn 16 and im getting a place of my own which will be very hard but becuase of some of the living conditions at my home it will be better off i can see where your coming from though. next time they complain to tell them to shut the hell up :)

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I pay everything - rent, bills, food, etc. I don't really get any financial support from my parents.

EDIT: Reading this back it sounds harsh - I don't mean that they refuse to give me support, I just mean that they're not that well off, and I don't ask for it.

18. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I've been on my own for 9yrs now (i'm 25) the best advise I can give is to live below your means. I have a great job, pays very well went out and bought 2 new cars an 03' & an 04' have all these neat electronics real nice apt, super rad bass, and a big rock on her finger. All this was obtained through hard work, persistence, and financial planing.
    If you can afford to eat a portorhouse, great!... be proud of that on your way to buy capt crunch.

Guys hold in your gas:meh: save your bucks and it will pay off in the end.

Do I resent these kids with the silver spoon... no, just wait till they have to do things on their own;). Mom and dad are not going to last too long. I'm happy I learned these lessons as young as I did, it gives me a leg up on the other kids that are just getting out of school, clueless on how to survive in the mom and dadless world.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Hey!:eek: :mad: :D

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, believe me, I'm aware of that fact.

My folks never handed any of us kids (4 of us so) anything except car insurance.

Other than that, we're on our own.

I mean, they'd gladly fork over for a months rent if I lost my job, sold my basses, computer, "toys" and blood, but they (and myself in turn) are firm believers that spoiling a kid does nothing for them.

There's a saying that the poor are always better at dancing than the rich because they know what the blues are.

I kinda think that's true to some extent.