1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Living with a Hernia

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 18, 2006.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Alrighty guys, my back is killing me. I have had some form of sciatica since my early twenties. I have three herniated discs, and haven't gotten the surgery done. I've heard mixed reviews, so I opted to make lifestyle changes instead.

But 10 years later, right now my back is killing me. Once in a while my legs go numb, getting out of a chair is painful, and it seems likere there isn't enough Ben Gay in the world to make it feel better.

So now I'm contemplating my options. Anyone experience anything similar? I know you guys may not be medical pros, but I'd love to hear some experiences and solutions.

:help:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not the same but I had an abdominal hernia. That was almost ten years ago (and I'm only 19 now) ... motion was minimal for about 6 months while I entirely healed after surgery. Then I was as good as new.

Surgery can really be your friend, especially in this case.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Jive

See if you can get your doctor to check you and let you know what kind of options you have now. I hope you feel better.

4. Ouch, sorry to hear about that.

Not me personally, but my brother has had a bad back for a few years now and every once and a while it acts up on him. He usually winds up getting some meds from his doctor. Pain killers and anti-inflammatory I believe. It's the only thing that gets him back to normal, other than sleeping on the floor to keep his back straight.

Good luck jive1

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had a large inguinal hernia (abdominal tear- my intestines were hanging down into my scrotum- fun!), and the surgery was nothing, although the following two weeks was a bit tricky as moving around or even coughing was painful. I'm still a bit fragile in that area....I'm not sure if the doctor did that great a job. But he did tell me one thing- "hernias are like holes in sweaters- they only get bigger."

Get 'em operated on.

6. "HUNH! I feel bad!"

[​IMG]

7. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I'm not sure about herniated discs, but I had an inguinal hernia. It was only small, not like Bryan's one. It was really sore when walking up hills or lifting heavy stuff, so I got it fixed. I think the selling point was when the doctor said "It's not urgent, but eventually your intestines will end up in your scrotum". I was like "CUT ME OPEN AND FIX ME....NOW!!!"

8. If you're having sciatic problems, I'd talk to a pain clinic and talk to them about the steroid dose pack. It's a series of steroid pills you take, it's the least invasive thing that worked for me. There's also the epidural steroid injections- but those hurt like the dickens. Some people have had great luck with physical therapy, but my bad discs are secondary to my SI joints.

9. Damn, I was gonna do that. Oh well, time for Eric to sing:

Help me out! Dig!
    All I do is grunt and groan
    Hurts me to walk anywhere
    Went to see my physician, Dr. Jones
    He took my trousers off, told me to cough
    Doctor says there ain't nothin' to discuss
    He tells me any day I might have to wear a truss

Living with a hernia
    All the time, such aggravation
    Living with a hernia
    Gonna be my ruination
    Living with a hernia
    Got to have an operation
    Feel so old

Too much bad pain
    Good gawd, drives me insane
    Can't run, barely crawl
    Got a bulge in my intestinal wall
    Walk real funny, bless my soul
    Can't play tennis and it's hard to bowl
    You can't even do the splits now... Say it!
    Better call it quits now
    Now I'm sick of all this dancin' anyhow

Living with a hernia
    Hurts me bad in a tender location
    Living with a hernia
    Had enough humiliation
    Living with a hernia
    Got to have an operation

I live with a hernia
    Can't get up, can't bend over
    Now I live with a hernia
    Wait a minute...
    You may not be familiar with the common types
    Of hernias that you could get
    So just settle down, let me clue you in
    There's incomplete
    Epigastric
    Bladder
    Strangulated
    Lumbar hernia
    Richter's hernia
    Obstructed
    Inguinal and Direct

Living with a hernia...Rupture!
    I said it's causin' me such irritation
    Living with a hernia
    Have to have my medication
    Living with a hernia
    I feel bad!

Rock on
    Eric

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wha?! Huh?

bc

11. Yeah, I'd reconsider the surgery... I had off and on pain in my abdomen for years.... finally, it got real bad.. think Mr. Tyler... I went in, and the surgery was actually mandatory as it was cutting off the circulation to my right "boy". That was in october... I feel really good now.

12. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Try Accupuncture first.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hernias … can't live with them, can't shoot them.

14. Listen to the song.

Rock on
    Eric

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The low, wooshing sound over Eric's head could be heard from miles around.

16. I think some of these guys have herniated disks and hernias confused with each other. I would not therefore take their medical advice.

I'd get a 2nd opinion from a doctor.

I was having back pain at one time, they recommended therapy to strengthen it. That worked out pretty good. I still have some pain once in a while, nothing too bad. But while I was there I was listening to some of the other patients (those curtains between beds don't block sound....). One guy mentioned he didn't mind the pain so much.....

but the loss of bladder control was really inconvenient... :eek:

WOAH!!! Way too much information. But its a valuable tip, the nerves coming from the spine work all sorts of stuff, and if you let it get bad in the wrong spot, there are serious complications. Just depends which disks are bad, and what nerves go by there.

Nothing to fool with. The numbness in the legs is a sign of nerves pinched, seems to me they could get pinched enough and actually damaged, making that numbness more or less permanent. Next thing you know, you can't feel your johnson. Or stop it from leaking. Either way..... don't risk it...

Randy

17. ::hangs head in shame at not getting the joke::

Rock on
    Eric

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Btw, Jive, have you been exercising? You looked sharp on that picture.

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'm just wondering, but what is "Ben Gay"?

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'm not sure you're old enough to be told, Toasted. No offence.