1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LLC Help

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Snerek, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    this summer my band is going to be playing quite a few shows around the northeast. We have been wanted to LLC ourselves for some time now.

reason 1, so people cant steal our name
    reason 2, so we can get paid through our federal ID number.

what are the tax laws for LLC's?

how does that all work?

2. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    It costs between $700 and $800 to get registered.There is way too much to it to post.You just need to talk to a good tax accountant

3. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
  4. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I'm in Illinois.When I incorporated there was a flat $685 charge plus $100 from the state for something else later.

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Setting up an LLC varies from state to state. It only cost me $350 to do mine.

But for your purposes, just getting a DBA (Doing Business As) might do. It will let you protect your band name and let you receive checks in your band's name. It's a whole lot cheaper.

But, an LLC or Corp will give you protection from liability which can be a handy thing.

6. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    You can apply for a federal ID number online.

I would start off by filing for a Fictitious Business Name (FBN) first. Your county website should have the forms for you to fill out.

After you do that, I'd look for a good tax accountant to setup the LLC, but you probably won't find one that'll take you in until after tax season.

That is, if you really feel like you need to become a LLC.

7. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    An advantage of having an LLC if belonging to the AFM is that the LLC can make pension fund contributions on behalf of the individuals to the American Federation of Musicians & Employers' Pension Fund.

Wally