Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lloyd vs. Stetson vs. Lakeberg vs. Jakstadt

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mheintz, Dec 20, 2005.

1. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Recently, some TBers (I believe prelims222 and Lauren Bell) had a chance to play some basses at the Cincinnati Bass Cellar. I am curious as to people's impression of basses by Lloyd, Stetson, Lakeburg and Jakstadt. How do they compare?

In particular, I would much appreciate in any input from those of you, like Ken Smith, who have managed to get their hands on a wide variety of basses and who can compare the Ohio luthiers to the rest of the bass making world. It's been about 12 years since I had the opportunity to visit the bass cellar, but I still remember the experience fondly.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have played a couple briefly but 2 minutes on one Bass is no way to judge a maker. I have to respectfully decline to pass judgement or opinion on any of these fine makers as I have little or no experience with their Basses.

Whenever someone plays my Shen they comment, "This is a Shen?". They can't believe how good this Shen is. It is also not your average Shen nor is the wood they chose for this particular Bass. I would say you would have to try 2 or 3 Basses from a maker to have a good opinion who is better for 'YOU' than another. The model/design has alot to do with it as well. Access and playabilty is felt and sound is heard. It's tough to know what is best but easier to know what you like or don't like.

3. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Ken, thanks for the reply. I have tried a number of Jakstadts. In fact, it was on my last visit about 12 years ago that I bought a Jakstadt. I have not tried the other luthiers. And you're right, each Jakstadt was quite different. Mine was very powerful like the others, but darker. Very good orchestral basses on the whole. But variety is the spice of life...

Incidentally, shortly after my trip to the Bass Cellar, Dennis at the Bass Viol Shop was nice enough to let me play a ~$65k Italian bass. I can no longer remember the maker, but the sound was very sweet in comparison to all of the other basses, including the Jakstadt.

The Jakstadt compared favorably to another bass at the Bass Cellar, which I believe was being sold for the principal of the North Carolina symphony. I believe that it was a Grunert. Both were very powerful, but the Jakstadt's tone was rounder and the bass was much easier for me to navigate. I am reasonably tall, but the Grunert's shoulders were quite large.

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Jakstadt is no longer in Ohio, so let's put him aside. Of the remaining three, Stetson is the tallest, Lakeburg is the heaviest and Lloyd is the wildest. ;)

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    And you ARNIE, are the Wisest!! lol