1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LM Tube v.s. Aguilar DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spencer, Sep 27, 2009.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I just sold my LMII, Ampeg 8x10, DB 112, and just bought a DB212

I really wanted to get an ampeg head so I tried out the AG500 it was way too dry, so I tried the DB751 and LOVED the tone. HUGE sound.. With a HUGE price..

So I sold my LMII on ebay and its new head time..

I play two styles of bass, a very agressive, brittle tinny flea like sound, and a very smooth warm coldplay like tone.
    My Sterling H/S works great for this, can do warm or brittle. The Aguilar DB 12s Sound great for both also.

But for the head? I loved the DB751 and I should go back and give it a try for a thin brittle tone. But the Price is wayy to much, Ill buy a used DB750 for around 1300 [thats still alot]

As for my little mark, it did the warm tube sound great, which is why I bought it, but it wasn't great at the tinny sound, but it got me by. I tried the LM Tube and couldn't tell much of a difference between solidstate other than volume increase with the tube and a better breakup.

What would you do if you were me?

2. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    To me markbass stuff sounds extremely sterile, I wouldn't even put them in the same league as aguilar. It's pretty much impossible to make a db750 sound bad. If you can't get it to sound tinny enough for your tastes, you could always throw an EQ in front of it.

3. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    hmm I dont find them to be extremely sterile, Id describe the ag500 or gk like that. But thank you!! Definatly doesnt have the personality of the db750

4. I previously owned a DB750 and recently tried out a DB751 in a store through a DB410. I A/B'ed the 751 with a LM tube just for fun.
    First off the 751 is quite different from the 750 regarding EQ and versatility.
    The mid control is just fabulous on the 751 (can growl like a mofo) and IMHO pretty useless on the 750.
    I loved the 751 and had to force myself to walk away from the pricetag.
    The LM tube sure sounded nice for a third of the price but had nowhere near as much punch, sonic weight or beautiful tone as the Aggie.
    The tube on the LM is VERY subtle and not worth the extra cash.
    My advice: get a Mesa Walkabout

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Always +1 the Walkabout. Have to.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Search for LMTube here in the amps forum. I did a comparison of a DB750 and an LMTube into a pair of Schroeder 15+L's.

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Haven't tried the LM Tube, but I do have a TA501 and a DB750. The tone of the TA501 is great. I think MB makes great heads. BUT the DB750 has so much more oomph than the MB. In a band situation (rock band in my case) with a tasty, heavy hitting drummer, the DB750 just kills.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The DB750 is a big, heavy hitting amp. I have yet to find something in a light package that packs the huge punch that it does.

9. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Sounds like apples vs watermelons to me.

Which is to say there's a whole lot of turf between those two that might yield what you're really looking for, which I gather is: deep tube vibe + 80s "twang" capability + under $1K.

Sounds pretty doable. Just have to cast a wider net. (I can't advise a specific model since I haven't been on a "twangy" kick for a long while.)

10. Over here in Australia you can get 4 Markbass LMIII's to one DB750 so it seems like a tough comparison.

11. You would hope a huge, massively heavy head with much greater power WOULD have more ooomph than a smaller, lower powered head:smug:

While I love the 'ooomph' of the DB750, that 'one trick pony' sort of tone is not for everyone. If you need the big wallup, and like a slightly bloomy, tubey but clean, relatively organic tone, it is a great head.

If you like a more even, relatively transparent and more 'flat' tone platform, and don't need massive volume, I greatly prefer the Markbass heads on almost every level.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In America the ratio is 3 1/2 LMIII's to one DB751. I'm glad my needs for a solid state amp are satisfied by the LMII. I haven't played an Aggie and I would really hate liking it and being forced to buy one at those prices ;)

13. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I dont have experience with either of these amps but I run a Tech21 Bass VT in front of my MB SA450 and that keeps my tube tone GAS at bay (for the time being) and I could always coax a modern hi-fi or mid notched tone with the amp's eq (I can get pretty close to my old GK with the semi-para mids).

14. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Very true. +1 to the "apples to watermelons" comment as well. I definitely have little to no need for an amp loaded with diverse tone shaping capabilities. Any tone tweeking I do can be easily handled on my bass pre's. For the players that really need to scan the tone spectrum with their amp, the DB750 might not get it done for them.