LM250 black line + 2 Mark Bass NewYork 121

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CamiloVasquez, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:28 PM.

1. CamiloVasquez

CamiloVasquez

Thursday
    Hi guys, any experience with that set up? I'm a newbie in regards to amps and cabinets, specially when it comes to ohms and what fries a cabinet. Two main questions: Is that combination electronically possible? and What kind of sound quality/power can I hope?

Thanks, greetins from Chile

2. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Yep, they will work together just fine.

If you find you end up wanting more volume, the head is the weakest link in that trio and will probably be your first upgrade. However, 250w is nothing to sneeze at and you'll be getting full power from the amp running those two 8ohm 112 cabs. I had the LM250 for awhile and it was a perfectly good amp with some cool tone controls. The VLE and VPF are powerful and you can really get some vastly different sounds quickly and easily with those two knobs, then fine-tune with the eq.

The only thing the amp DIDN'T do well, in my opinion, is overdrive/grit. It just went straight to harsh clipping without any middle ground of warm breakup. If you have a pedal or something for those tones though, you're golden!

SJan3 and CallMeAl like this.
  3. CamiloVasquez

CamiloVasquez

Thursday
    I have an Aguilar Agro that I use for situations that require drive, so I'm golden. Thank you so much for the reply!

musicman556 likes this.
  4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I have the LMIII with a CMD 12 (essentially a ny 121) and the NY 121 extension. I love the tone, cuts easily through any band mix. I use a fraction of the volume, usually 9:00 for a fairly loud blues band. And often only one speaker.

I know I’m comparing 500w to 250w. But the speakers are quite efficient, and a lot of volume will come from having 2. You can always upgrade the head later and have a backup, but I imagine you won’t need too.

I believe @bordinco90 has/had the black line 250 and can comment.

one other thing to consider: IDK what availability and pricing are like for you in Chile, but in the states the CMD 121p is only 20 USD more than a Black line 250 + NY 121. I’d gladly pay 20 bucks for an extra 250 watts! What’s more, I’m seeing the CMDs on sale, probably because Markbass is releasing a version 4 of those heads and combos, and retailers are clearing out the old stock

5. CamiloVasquez

CamiloVasquez

Thursday
    thanks for your reply. Sadly, that 20bucks diff in the US translates to 300 here in Chile, due to taxes (and neo-colonialism). So, for now I'm gonna stick with the combination mentioned above. I like the idea of upgrading the head in the future, LMIII seems like the best option. Thanks again for your advice!

CallMeAl likes this.
  6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Not surprising, thought I should mention it. I think you’ll be set for a while, enjoy!

7. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Actually the LM250 w/ 2 NY121s will be louder than the CMD121P on its own which delivers 300 watts into the Internal speaker.
    2x12s will be louder than 1x12" with only a 50 watt advantage. Unless you need to be stupid loud, the set up you want will be fine!

CallMeAl likes this.
  8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I think maybe I wasn’t clear- I was recommending a CMD 121p AND ny 121, versus the blackline 250 and 2 x ny 121. ($1548 vs $1527 msrp usd, without the sale prices going on now.)

But since CMD isn’t available to OP , I agree that’s a beast of a rig in its own right, and should be plenty!

Whats the formula, 10x wattage = 2x perceived volume? So the 250w and 500w amps really aren’t that far from each other, in terms of volume capability.

SJan3 likes this.
  9. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Al, reread your post and understand what you meant. And I agree, the price of the CMD121P makes it a no brainer in the states at the sale price. I'm tempted myself but recently bought a NANO and a Big Bang to push my cabinets. But it sure would be nice to have a combo with that capability!

CallMeAl likes this.
  10. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    The blackline 250 is a great head. I feel like it kicks way above the 250 watts listed. They are on sale all the time at Guitar center. The 2 1x12 cabs with the 250 head would sound great and be plenty to gig with.

SJan3 and CallMeAl like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021