LM3 with: Berg HT112ER+EX112ER or Berg AE112x2 or Aguilar DB112x2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Musicman20, Aug 19, 2009.

1. So...after months of looking around....this is the final stand so to speak. I am after the 2 x 112 setup, and these three combinations are definitely the ones that suit my style and needs.

They will be powered by a Little Mark 3.

Just to put a spanner in the works, the Berg cab prices have dropped a little in the UK due to exchange rates, but still the AE112 x 2 is the most expensive, then the HT/EX ERs, then the DBs.

One would be perfect for bedroom practice and low level band practice, which I really need to do more. Two is great for gigging and will sound amazing.

But, which do I choose?

Which of the two Berg setups is the best overall? I have looked at a lot of reviews, and the HT112ER seems to deliver a more full low sound, whereas the AEs are lighter and more aggressive.

Just to let you all know, I am indeed mental, as I already have a DB212, BUT....I need two separate ones for a new band ive joined that will actually get paid for the gigs! This is due to transport issues and that I need one for the above reason.

What can I say...I like collecting cabs. I use mainly 4 String basses.

Your views would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. I'd get one DB112 and be done with it. Use that at home and when you have small gigs, and get the DB212 out for the bigger ones. Your set, and you won't break the bank!

If you want a light, modular rig, then the only choice of your three would be the AE112 x 2, since both the DB112's and HT112ER stack would be quite heavy on a cart.

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    In the UK, check out barefaced cabs, seriously. I believe he is making some ultralight 12" cabinets lately that should be a bit nicer than any of the things you're listing :)

http://www.barefacedbass.com/themidgets.html

Also makes the Compact of course, an ultralight 1x15 that's crazy loud.

4. Hi...thanks!

Ive tested quite a lot of stuff recently, and the Aguilar/berg stuff just seems right for the 'tonal goal' Im chasing. Alex's stuff is great though.

5. You might be wise there! I could just get one DB, and if I earnt some money in this covers band, and felt I could get another to 'finish it off', then I could.

I remember your very informative posts about the DBs and the Berg cabs. How close are they when it comes to which is the greater of the 1x12s? I must say overall I really rate Aguilar, and I love my Berg HS410....but ive no idea which makes the better modular cab. The DBs are a fair whack cheaper, esp compared to the AE's.

6. I think, all in all, for what I play the DB or AEs are best. The AEs have a lot of weight saving hence their price I guess.

So...which out of those two?!

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Though you haven't heard T'Midget, which sounds completely different to the Compact!

Alex

8. I use a LMII & a AE112- sounds GREAT 2gether! Cant say enough good about 'em

9. Ive read some threads, and it seems the HT/EX ERs were made with 5 string players in mind...and as much as I often go for 5's, my main sound is with a 4. So, back to the drawingboard, AE112s or DBs!

10. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Get the Berg ER's, for the amount of weight you're saving. The DB's are OK, they'd be my 4th or 5th choice of cab. The Berg ER's are the first, by a long shot.

For a 4x10 cab, where you're saving 40-50 lbs, I can see the benefits of going neo, but to drop from 40 to 30 lbs...with all the detriment to the sound...:confused:

The AE's are nice, from what I've heard, but Jim himself says the ER's are FAR superior, and they only weigh 10-15 lbs more...not a big deal. Better bass response, better top end = big deal.

No, the ER's will benefit ALL bass players who like low, deep, extended bass. They sound fabulous, like a much bigger cabinet than what they are. Go for it. 2 ER's with a LM rock; several of my students have this very setup; one has the 800 tube, which is very very nice, with a couple of HT 112s.

My personal preferences for small 12 cabs:

1) Berg ERs
    2) Berg AEs
    3) Berg HTs
    4) Epifani 12's (old stock - Berg design)
    5) Aguilar DBs

IMHO, of course.

Cheers,
    Cameron

11. I agree that with a smaller cab like a 112, neo versus not becomes a bit of a moot point. I GREATLY prefer the SOUND of the AE's to the original HT112's, but have not played the ER's. Most feel they have a little more low end, at the expense of the mid clarity of the original. That would not be a good trade-off for me personally.

12. Oh heck! Now this makes it all more confusing.

I mainly play 4 string...I know its only 10lbs ish weight saving...but I want some nice fat warm bite. I can go with any 3 of these setups.

The AE's certainly look the absolute business!

13. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Having ABed them several times, the HT's get quite blown away by the gravitas of the ER's. Very, very deep sounding, they still have have the remarkable clarity of all the Berg cabs that I've heard, but it is no longer the predominant characteristic like it is in the HT's.

And, just curious, do you like the top end of the AE's as much as the HT's?

Cheers,
    Cameron

14. Yes

15. I am off to test them both next week, so I will update you all. I am thinking the AE's to be fair...even though the HTER and EX go DEEP!

I want something very easy to move, and that slightly aggressive bite might be the icing on the cake. Itll need to be a little different to my HS410.

Thanks

16. Have fun. These cabs sounds quite different from one another, so it should be pretty easy to have a 'favorite' IMO.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The AE112's sound like they will be a good fit for you, especially since you play mostly 4-string.

Tom.

18. Thanks

Thanks for that Tom...I think I agree already even though Ive not tested!

19. Well.....after testing, Ive got to say the HT112ER + EX stack was incredibly deep and smooth. The AE112s were nice, but could not go as deep, even though the aggression was nice. After thinking about it, my HS410 is pretty damn aggressive on its own, so perhaps the ER stacks would be a great stack to have in addition to my HS410. Apparently, the HS410 has the same tweeter as the AE112s. Whereas the HT112ER has a more high end smoother tweet.

20. The top end is quite different between the HT112 (I haven't played the ER's, but I don't think the tweeter has changed), the HS and the AE. Even though the tweeters are the same on the AE and HS, the upper response of the drivers is VERY different, and I assume so is the crossover point.

So, the smoothest top end by far is the HT112 (and I assume the HT112ER is even more 'even and a bit polite' through the upper mids, since a lower tuning would result in a bit lower drop-off in the upper mids from the driver), followed by the HS210/410, and then going much brighter, grindier and more aggressive with the AE (you can really hear this if you compare an AE cab to an HS cab with both tweeters turned off... the HS cabs get 'dark and smooth', and the AE cabs still have that 'bright grind' happening.

All good, and all personal taste. I prefer the AE tone (more low end extension than the HS cabs, but more aggressive 'bite' through the upper mids to the upper treble) for my tone, but that's pure personal taste.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021