Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LMAO! Wishbass review in BP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alex, Jan 18, 2006.

1. I got a new BP today, and, as usual, I went straight to the gear reviews (GAS symptom, I suppose) There I found an unintentionally hilarious review of the Wishbass Hyperbass. It starts out:

"There are plenty of one man bass shops, but none of them are like Wishbass..." (I need one of Kelly Lee's ROFL smileys for this)

I guess he's right - there aren't any bass shops quite like Wishbass. :p

Throughout the entire review, Greg Olwell has to list problem after problem that the Wishbass had, while trying to be even handed and desperately searching for something to complement. He did some outright BSing:

"I was fond of the sweeping upper horn and hot rodded look of the aluminum cavity cover."

"The pinholes [left by Ambrosia Beetles] were left open for a decorative touch."

"The fingerboard was attractive."

I really felt bad for him, getting stuck with this review. I can see them handing out assignments at the beginning of the month:

"Alright, for gear reviews we got a pair of Sadowsky Metros, a Schroeder 31012, and Greg, you're doin' the Wishbass."

":mad: "

I wasn't surprised at all when the neck warped and it was "unplayable below 7th position". Here's the kicker - Wishnevsky said to "shimmy the bridge with a buisness card" which they did, but said that it "didn't eliminate the problem"

Greg quickly commented on the Wishbass' "organic" tone, then finished, defending the Wish, "Where else can you get a custom bass for $400".

In the Pros/Cons box he restrained himself and put for Cons - 'A little too "Homemade" '

I just thought it was funny.

~Alex

btw - I actually admire Wishnevsky for what he is doing, and I bet that with a trussrod, an adjustable bridge, and a little neck modding, you could have a pretty sweet bass. I just think that it's ridiculous to make crap the standard.

Peace

2. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Awesome. I'll have to check it out when I get my issue. I usually get my BP's late, or sometimes not at all.

3. Just found this:

Jonathan Herrara's second opinion "The Wishbass has sweet, growling tone, but I felt it's construction problems created too many obstacles."

Ya think?

4. I thought there would be more comments on this :eyebrow:

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  6. Oh, my bad. I just got this BP today, and I didn't see anything on the front page in Basses, so....

Plus, now that I see it, it's closed.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why would we? Where do you think they got the idea to review the bass?

Not from BP, I'm sure.:D

8. DRZ400Bassman

DRZ400Bassman

Nov 6, 2005
    I just got home and flipped to that review and I could not believe it either, what a piece of crap:rollno:

9. I really had hope for wishbasses, I was hoping that they were awesome and I could buy like 4 and walk around showing off my wishbasses......

10. the best part is when they're going down the box for what options you can get and I see "Truss Rod: $100"

:D

11. Yeah, funny stuff.

Also the "finish" option. It's like Ordering a Cheeseburger with these options

-Lettuce - 25c
    -Beef - $1
    -Cheese - 50c
    -Top Bun 75c
    -Bottom Bum 75c

lol

12. How bout buying a car:
    -Engine:$3000
    -Wheels:$400
    -Windshield:$150

Talk about laziness....

13. Wonder if he is an advertiser?

Peace,

T

14. BassMano, you sure do post a lot.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    As a former owner of a Wish.
    I read review and it's right on.
    Good sound, but to much everything else.
    I bought my Wish two years ago.
    And Steve still, makes basses with the same proplems.
    You get what you pay for?

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    There's been a tiny WishBass ad in every issue for the last couple of years.

Love him, or hate him--by god, someone's buying those basses, or he wouldn't still be making them.

I mean, c'mon--Dave Pomeroy owns a WishBass. :ninja:

17. I also remember a shot of Michael Manring playing one in the studio.

18. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I had one that I wanted to redo, but you can polish a turd and still have a turd when it done. Just to many things are wrong.

19. How much more do I have post to get you guys to understand that my name is Bass Manolukas and my last name is Manolukas. See how that works out? :rollno:

True, though, I do post a lot. I'M ADDICTED! :D

20. I like to think that musicians that make too much money have secret parties and they purchase these basses as the white elephant gifts.