1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMB-2 limiter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gaetano Paul, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Anyone know the difference between the Boss LMB-2 and LMB-3?

2. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    the second is one more than the first.

3. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Are you talking about the LM-2 or LM-2B? The base limiter circuit is basically the same between all of the Boss LM's. The main difference is between the different controls. The LM-2 has a tone control, the LM-2B and LMB-3 have an "enhancer" which is basically just a mid-scoop. The LMB-3 also added in a ratio knob, whereas the LM-2B had a fixed ratio.

I personally had an LMB-3 for several years and found it to be quite a good limiter. I never used the enhancer, as I hate scooped tones.

4. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah the LM2B, little brown stompbox.

Thanks bigchiefbc

5. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    I have an LMB-3 and I also only use it as a limiter, and then only when turning up the amp volume higher than normal (I'm a family guy, so when everyone else is home, I have to keep it down). I usually just keep the enhance knob turned all the way down.

Can you or someone else explain what "scooped tones" are?

6. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Cut mids, boosted highs, I think.

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    cut mids

8. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    also known as "scoops the mids" :D

9. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    My Fender BXR60 has a "mid notch" switch which does that. Is the enhance knob just a tone knob for mid frequencies, then?

10. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Where's Bongo?

11. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    Maybe following Congo?

250px-congo_bongo_flyer.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I didn't have anything to add. :)

On the subject of "tone knobs", be careful with that term because it really doesn't mean any one specific thing. A tone knob on a passive bass is (usually) completely different from a tone knob on an amp, and while knobs like "enhance" or "presence" or "slap" or "contour" do affect the tone, they are yet again different from those others in what they do.

However, "mid notch" is fairly similar to "mid scoop"-- I would just expect a notch to be very narrow, and a scoop to be wider. Narrow = affecting fewer frequencies, wide = affecting more of them.