1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMB-3 or BBE opto stomp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ssbass, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Which pedal would you recommend both have good reviews. I have only been able to try the Boss LMB-3, but have read good things about the Opto stomp.

2. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    what do you want it to do?

3. I'm looking for a pedal to help with loud spikes and maybe squash my tone a little a moderate compressed tone.

4. The LMB-3 and BBE are slightly different in that the LMB is a limiter, not a compressor. I guess it depends on what you are after.

Have you looked at Bongomania's reviews of compressors?
    http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml

5. Thats where i'm confused. Whats the difference between a compressor and a limiter. I read through the mega thread and still was confused. Don't they both even out your notes no spikes or low notes.

6. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    By definition, a "Limiter" is simply a "Compressor" that operates at higher ratios. I believe the generally accepted standard of "Limiting" is around a 10:1 ratio or greater.... Bongo - please chime in if I'm wrong!

Limiting is more useful for preventing transient peaks (like a slap, pop, etc...) while compression is better for evening out volume. A properly set-up limiter basically keeps things from "peaking" while a compressor can even out dynamics or create a "pumping" effect. At least, that's how I understand it!

Maybe think of a compressor as "squeezing" your signal dynamically (loudness). It can barely squeeze, or really squeeze hard.
    Think of limiting as a "Stop Sign" where the volume stops going up at an abrupt point.

I'm totally oversimplifying things, but see 51m0n's comments on the "Threshold" difference below:

7. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    A limiter has a very very fast attack, and (generally) a slower release than a compressor. It also has a very very high ratio (25:1 is not unheard of).

A limiter tends to have the threshold set quite high, just to knock those spikes off the top of the signal.

So as a signal hits the threshold on a limiter it gets only slightly louder regardless of how much louder it would have got had the effect been bypassed.

A compressor tends to have a slower attack (you can let the transient spike through uncompressed, keeping punch and brightness inyour tone), often a shorter release (you can get the compressor to breath a bit or a lot if you want, a far lower ratio (4:1 is average, 10:1 is high).

A compressor often has a lower threshold so the effect start earlier and squashes more of the signal.

So as the signal hits the compressor it can still get significantly louder but it will be at a slower rate than with the effect bypassed.

The overall gain as a result after any gain make up is introduced may be very similar, but the sounds are often very very different.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Generally correct, however note that when one device is labeled a "compressor" and another device is labeled a "limiter", that just means somebody in the marketing department decided that was the word they wanted on the box. It doesn't really mean the device will necessarily fit the description above. For example, the Boss CS-3 (a "compressor") has a ridiculously high ratio, like 25:1 I think; while the LMB-3, a "limiter", has a range of ratios from 1:1 to inf.:1. So in a way, the CS-3 is necessarily a limiter, while the LMB-3 is not restricted and may be a gentle compressor. IOW pay close attention to the actual functions, don't just go by the name.

FWIW the Optostomp has a fairly low ratio.

9. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    +1 I wasnt trying to suggest you can guarantee that the marketing folks know this info too Bongo :)

10. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    In the FWIW dept. I compared the LMB-3 to the Compulator and MultiComp....kept the LMB-3. YMMV :D

There's so much adjustability on the LMB-3 you can make it do about anything you want....and I actually like the 'enhance/mid suck' knob because if you use a compressor only for a slap tone (me), it helps you set up a good slap tone that doesn't interfere with your fingerstyle tone. (whew, did that make any sense?:))

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    My only issue with the LMB-3 is it's really easy to over-do it. Maybe it's just me but I become desensitised to compression as I tweak the knobs and it's only when I pack up, go away and come back later I realise my sound is squashed to all ****.