1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LMII + 410 (or maybe 412) suggestions?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzcrime, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

Currently rocking the LMII w/ 2 X EA NL210s but wanting a standalone 410, 610 or 412 rig that I can have a big, loud sound.

The NL210s are nice cabinets especially for the weight and use them for my jazz gigs but I would be afraid to push them due to the somewhat touch and go driver situation.

Just looking for a medium sized cabinet that can push out enough volume for a rock setting (but not playing rock necessarily) that pairs well with the LMII. I play a Fodera AJ Contrabass and I'm into the Garrison/Grey/Gwizdala kind of sound.

Been interested in the Aguilar GS410 or GS412. How do they pair?

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hello again!

I also had trouble with my NL210 drivers blowing up, which is a shame, since I truly like the sound of those cabs. Also, there has been some issues reported with the LMII going into protection shut-down when really pushed with two 8ohm NL210's (I believe their nominal impedance is a touch lower than 8ohms, which puts the combined impedance under 4).

While not quite as 'sweet' sounding in the top end, the Bergantino AE210's are cool, and sound very good with the LMII (as does the AE410). They are a little rougher up top (i.e., a bit more upper mids coming through a smaller tweeter), but you can tame that with the upper mid control of the LMII.

They are small, lightweight, and pretty cool looking also.

I also find the TecAmp s212 to have a bit of that 'very mid present but with plenty of low end punch' that I hear in the NL210, but for some reason, I wasn't quite as jazzed about the LMII paired with them. That cab sounds BEAUTIFUL with the Puma though.

Anyway, if you can try the AE210's somewhere, you might dig them. Not identical to the NL210 (one of the best sounding 210's ever IMO), but they will neither blow up nor shut your amp down:smug:

TBer Vic had two NL210's and now has two AE210's and also an LMII, so you might want to PM him and get his take on the tone/volume differences/similarities.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I find that the LMII pairs very well with Epifani Series I cabs loaded with 10's (210, 310 or 410). They are easier to source that Berg AE cabs used...

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

As most know, I like that pairing a lot also. However, the Epi voicing is farther from the NL210 voicing to my ear than the AE line of cabs, which is why I went that direction. The NL's have a LOT going on in the mid and upper mids like the AE's IMO.

5. hey kjung,
    thanks for popping into one of my threads again. the help is appreciated.
    i have had the same thing with LMII into the NL210s. i am currently waiting on some warranty replacement parts to change the drivers over. i haven't even really pushed them - it's disappointing because otherwise these cabinets are smokin'!
    do you know of some decent larger sized cabinets to pair with the LMII, like 410s or even a little larger?

thanks

6. Hi JC,

I've got a AE410 and an MB LMK which is identical to the LMII in a 2 channel version. This combination "smokes" and does get very loud but stays clear and punchy with no break up at all. When I'm lazy and don't feel like taking along the Glock Heart Rock the LMK and Berg 410 works nearly just as well and really I could be happy just using that combination forever!
    The lows are tight but full, midrange strong but clear with the high mids being a little edgier (if theres such a word) which really works well for fingerstyle playing.

I also auditoned the AE210 and NL210 cabs at the time and personally thought the Bergs seem to handle the higher volume without even showing any signs of stress. However, like you I thought the NL210s had a "beautiful" tone and I suppose used with the less aggressive jazz type gigs would work better.

RE - 412's you might want to check out the Berg NV412. On all accounts it is the most compact easy to move 412 around with a MASSIVE sound accross the frequency range and will handle and respond to anything you throw at it.

Cheers.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Per the above, both the AE410 and 410UL sound great with that head.

However, just to make sure you realize this, the speaker issues you are having are with the very poorly designed NL210's. Don't be afraid of that with another 210 stack . Trust me, the Berg AE210's do NOT have this issue.

However, if you want a larger, single cab, and want to keep it relatively light, both the AE410 (which will be just slightly bigger sounding than the AE210x2) and Epi410UL sound great with that head, with the AE410 being very tight, punchy, and a little bit 'grindy' up top, and the UL410 being very deep, pure, wide, with a treble response more similar to the NL210's (more pure and airy).

I've described the AE410 as more of a 'Flea' tone, and the 410UL more of a 'Marcus' tone, if that helps at all.

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    +1

I a/bed the AE410 and my buddies Epi S2 310 (ok so not quite a 410) I have to say this is pretty accurate.

There is most certainly a tonal character to the mids and separate one separate one to the highs the Berg as compared to the Epi which I fell is almost a bit more netural-ish.

Ken's description is dead on.

Honestly I like both a lot and however I lean a bit more to the Berg (but that just me).

9. I've got an NL210 stack which I have had for a little over 3 years now. They haven't missed a beat. But I must say I drive them with the iamp800 which seems to power them with the right amount of juice.

Maybe the LMII isn't the right amp to drive those cabs.

For me it's been the most versatile rig I've ever played with and I've covered a lot different styles - rock, funk, jazz, latin and world music. They seem to handle everything I ask of them.

However, it would be nice to have a single cab doing the same job sometimes. Aparently, the new EA NL410 is going to have upgraded components and the construction has been improved with the bracing etc, to help give the cab even stronger bottom end response. As well, from what the specs are showing it's going to bee a very LOUD cab with SPL rating of 106dB, and pretty portable at just 25kg/56lbs. That would make it the lightest Neo 410 cab around, as far as I know.

Might be worth a looking into it.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Besides the well documented quality/reliability issues with the EA 10" drivers, unfortunately, the NL410 continues to only be offered in 8ohm version, which really limits its appeal for use with many solid state heads.