1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LMII + alternative for VT pedal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marco1977, Apr 20, 2009.

1. marco1977

marco1977

Sep 11, 2007
    Hi everyone,

I would like to 'warm up' my sound a little and before buying and trying the VT pedal, I wonder of there are other products on the market I should also test. Offcourse they should be in the same price range. Perhaps the EBS Valvedrive is something worth checking? I'm not looking for real distortion, more of a hint of tubey chocolate:)

I'm playing my LMII through two Berg's (HT/EX 112). And mainly play Precision bass with flats. Playing mostly soul/neo Soul and old school funk.

I did a search on this, but couldn't find a specific thread, please point me to it if such a thread exists.

Your input is appreciated.

Marco

2. First, i don't know anything about the VT pedal so i can't comment on price or anything like that.

I run an RBI Sansamp with the LMII. It turns a great amp into an absolutely incredible beast with a massive range of tone IMHO.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    That's funny, I thought the whole point of the markbass stuff was that they can sound tubey and warm on their own...

4. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i thought that was what the VLE/VLF knobs were for.

5. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Don't go there....

6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    right...

too late, i already did!

7. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    The Aguilar Tone Hammer seems to be very popular, but the VT pedal will certainly do the trick for a bit of mild crunch and beyond. Having said all that I find the LMII warm enough as is, but all depends on your definition of warm I guess.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, I never use the VT for anything but overdrive when I use my Markbass head, which is becoming rarer and rarer. I tried using it as a tone shaper once, and it just didn't seem to add anything to the LMII. Now put that VT on a GK or Ampeg SS head, and it makes a world of difference.

9. VT v's the Valve Drive + LMII.Well i can say iv'e already been down that road.I started off with the VT and loved it until i tried the EBS Valve Drive.The EBS is a bit more of a wooly sound and i prefer the grit that comes out of it.I also changed the tube in it,once you work out how to use the EQ of it it's awesome.I used the VT for creating or trying to create an SVT tone which it gets really close too,but it just doesn't feel the same.Where as the EBS is more of a tube/grit provider to your current amps sound.I'd choose the EBS over the VT,but thats just my choice.The VT is alot cheaper though,and i will definately get the programable DI version when it comes out.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you want to "warm up your sound" as you say, put an orange drop capicitor in your bass and cut the tone pot to half. Then set your VLE to 9:00.

This is what I have done and it sounds freakin awesome.

Lot cheaper too.

11. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I like the EBS overdrive in my HD-350 head. I have it cranked to 8 (on a scale from 1 to 11) all the time. Adds a some subtle grit and richness that seems to get complements a lot. Combined with the EBS solid state it is articulate and warm.

12. you cant go wrong with the ebs. as i am a huge endorser (sadly do not own an amp, but i can always dream) of ebs, go for it. it adds a nice wonderful depth. i had a bassdriver once, but was not able to dial in a sound i liked. then again, i was trying to copy geddy lee :)

13. marco1977

marco1977

Sep 11, 2007
    Thanks everybody!

There seems to be some sort of mix up in 'warming' up my sound. By such I meant not making the sound warmer/darker coloring etc.

The LMII is warm in that sense, and it can sound 'tubey'!

@ Bassist: I am currently looking at capacitators but don't know whichto choose > .047mfd?

I mean it more in a making a signal hotter, creating a tad bit compression/overdrive... Not distortion. Think of Jamerson hitting the strings so hard, when he recorded directly, sort of natural compression/distortion kicked in...

Thanks again!

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yep, .047mfd. Try WD Music or Bass Parts Resource. I believe they both sell them.

BTW, from your latest description I think you are looking for the sound a *real* tube amp produces.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ultimately, Torin's right. An all-tuber ended up being my ultimate solution, too, despite being pretty well satisfied with the LMII. But there are volume issues with cranking an SVT up to where it's gritty, so I get mine out of a pedal. I use the VT, but really, any mild bass overdrive will do the trick. I only use the VT because it's nearly a dead ringer for a B-15 or SVT.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The Precision came with 100n (0.1µF) ceramic capacitor and a 250KA tone pot. I fully agree with changing the ceramic cap to a good plastic one.

Parts Express, Antique Electronics, MCM - any electronics house will have them.

Paul