1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMII and 2 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Snarf, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    I'm confused by the jacks on the back of the LMII. Only one Speakon, one 1/4" . . . do they force you to use different cables?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If you want to use two cabs, just run one cab from the LMII, and run the second cab off the first cab, provided they are both 8 ohms of course. I never understood the need to run two cabs from two output jacks on the back of the head. Can anyone explain to me why that would be better than "daisy chaining" the cabs?

BTW, the speakon on the back of the LMII fits a 1/4 inch cable in there as well if you want to run two cabs off the back of the amp with the same type of cable. Or you could run one speakon and one 1/4" as you said. Or daisy chain them as I said with two of either type of cable. Whatever you have to do to get your cabs running safely.

3. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Theoretically, daisey chaining doesn't distribute the power evenly to all the speakers. Some think the first cabinet gets more power. I, however don't think it matters that much. But I do (when possible) run two leads to the two cabs from the amp just in case. I wouldn't worry about it. Just use two 1/4 inch cables of good quality. Like the previous guy said, the speakon on the LMII is also a 1/4 inchjack. Just plug it in the middle.

4. Electrically, in a properly designed amp (and cab), it's the exact same thing. The electricity doesn't know the difference between the two ;)

5. Zildjian106

Zildjian106

Apr 8, 2007
    +1 :smug:

6. Yes---the Speakon Spkr out on the LMII Is a DUAL design. Taking Speakon & 1/4" in the centre hole!

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    What's the difficulty in using a Speakon and a 1/4"? I do it all the time.

8. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    The reasoning why some believe it is better to avoid daisy-chaining is to keep cable and connector resistance to a minimum, thereby maximizing power and damping factor. For example, if you use a 6' cable to the first cab, then daisy chain to the second cab with another 6' cable, the second cabinet sees a speaker cable length of 12'. Additionally, increasing the number of connectors (plugs and jacks) also increases the overall resistance of the speaker connection because the contact points between the jacks and plugs don't have as much conductive surface area than heavy gauge wire. In fact, the connection points can increase resistance more than the cable wire itself, especially if 1/4 phone jacks are used. While daisy-chaining won't affect the first speaker cabinet, it will affect the second or any other subsequent one.

Does this mean that daisy chaining will audibly degrade the system performance due to decreased damping factor? There is never ending debate on this! Even the "experts" don't always agree with each other as to the minimum acceptable damping factor. IMO/IME, if speaker cables are kept as short as possible, are of heavy gauge (AWG 14 or 12 gauge), and speakon connectors are used whenever available, there shouldn't be a problem with daisy chaining. (And it certainly doesn't present any hazards to the amp or speakers.)

9. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I think if there really is a tonal detriment to daisy-chaining, you'd need a scope to know it exists.

10. I've tried both with my LM-II. No difference whatsoever, if there was it was so minute that I couldn't tell, so it didn't matter squat.

11. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    +1
    Unlike the relatively low current flowing through an instrument cable, the current running through speaker connections and cables is extremely robust. From a cabling an power distribution standpoint, daisy chaining is a lot like running lightbulbs in parallel. You don't expect the bulbs farther from the source to run dark. In that respect, I tend to agree with Megadan:
    Nonetheless, I try to minimize cable lengths and use the best cable and connectors to ensure the best power access for the downstream cab. However, if tradeoffs are necessary on a gig, I don't worr¥ about it at all and it doesn't ever seem to have made a difference anyone noticed.

12. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    +1 You're probably right. In the end I don't really care what the 'scope says as long as my ears approve. :)