1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMII Compared to a GK1001RBII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by santucci218, Sep 15, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I own the GK, and its a really great bang for the buck head, especially at the price I got it for. But after playing some Eden heads, and even some Nemisis combos, i was thinking of getting a Nemisis head. BUT I see these little marks everywhere! Even my favorite band Protest The Hero is using them.

What do they sound like? More modern? Classic and warm? How is the gain on these suckers? Loud?

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    The GK destroys the Markbass IMO. But you won't know what you think before trying it yourself.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    haha, well that post cleared my gas rather quickly.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    While I do agree with Alex completely, I will say that the voicings of the 1001RB and the LMII are quite different. What sounds better to Alex and I might not sound better to you. Give the LMII a spin. It's a great head and is readily available to demo at tons of GC's.

5. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    If you're looking for small head with GK tone check out the new GK MB2-500. It just came out and most stores don't have them yet, but I figure that's just a matter of time. I expect we'll get a few reviews up here on TB very soon. There are a few threads about this head already.

6. +1. The volume is pretty close into 4ohms. The LMII is quite flat, clean, transparent, but not sterile. The GK definitely has a voicing that many love. The heads will sound quite different, and it's not a 'better or worse' thing.

I greatly prefer the LMII myself, but I use a Jazz type bass with SS roundwounds, and enjoy a more pop/jazz/funk voicing (clear, clean, but not hi fi). If I was a touch more into the rock or classic rock thing, I'd be all over the GK1001. It has that unique GK growl and aggressiveness that I've never heard in another solid state amp.

If you like players like Will Lee, Marcus Miller, etc., the LMII just kills for those variations of a of modern J-type tone.

IMO!

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    As some have already stated, you'll get several different opinions. My experience is exactly the opposite of the above. I used a 1001RB-II for quite some time until I tried a Markbass SD800.
    I really, really like the GK and it served me very well but after trying the Markbass it was a no-brainer for me. I LOVE the clear, uncolored tone of the Markbass. Not only are they far lighter than the GK line, I also think that they are more user friendly and more flexible. With the GK, no matter the EQ it always sounded like a GK. With the Markbass, a few quick turns of the VLE and/or VPF knobs and you've got a very different sounding rig.
    As recommended, I think that you're going to have to go out and try the Markbass for yourself and see which tone and set of features works for you.
    Good luck!

Just my $.02.

8. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    So how is the "GK sound" characterized anyway?

9. To my ear, it has a sort of built in compression along with a unique 'grind and grit' that really isn't tubey at all. It's a 'solid state overdrive' sort of thing that results in a lot of upper mid presence and a bit of grit.

You can of course get it reasonably clean, but it always has that bit of aggressive grunt to it that I've never heard in another cab. I have a little MB150 (the one without the boost control), and I hear it in there.

It always sounds like you are pushing the amp a bit. My buddy Alexclaber's description of a speaker going beyond XMax is similar... a tight, slightly compressed low end (clean and punchy, but not deep or open) and a feeling that the speakers are 'breaking up a bit' at the top end of their range. That sort of thing seems burned into these amps, and it can be really cool if you are playing with an aggressive style in a modern rock context.

IMO there. I spent MANY years gigging larger gigs with a 400RB, and smaller ones with an MB150 back in the day. Nice stuff.

However, per the above, if you really want it clean, the MB stuff just kills (F1, SD800, SA450, LMII).

IMO.. hard to put this stuff into words.

Interestingly (to me anyway!), the MB heads through the new Bergantino AE's have a bit of the voicing I describe above... a bit of grit in the upper mids and a tight response down low that does a bit of 'GK emulation' to my ear (primarily coming from the cab).

10. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ken, your description is quite good. I would also like to add that (to me) the GK tone is meant to be heard in the context of a band mix. Solo'd they're not the prettiest sounding amps on the planet, but that bit of grind that's such an integral part of the GK signature tone sits very well in a mix. Most of the time I can't really hear it while playing with the band. It's more of a glue that helps connect your tone to the bottom end of the guitars and the top of the kick. I went from a Sansamp RBI/QSC rig, to a Genz Benz GBE750 to a GK 2001RB and my bandmates (myself included) thought the GK sounded the best in the mix while the Genz Benz sounded the best solo'd. I'm not a solo bass guy, so the choice was obvious. The fact that the GK has TONS more power than either of the previous rigs was just icing on the cake :p

11. +1 It's a cool tone, and really works across a lot of styles. One of my favorite players, Jimmy Earl, is still using his GK800, and it does that grindy Jazz bass tone just wonderfully. My buddy Tber Buzz has a new 1001 that I'm looking forward to hearing with my AE410 next time we get together. Nice stuff!

I actually hear a touch of that voicing in the Markbass F1, which is a little tighter and more aggressive (I use that word too much, but you know what I mean) than the LMII.

I look forward to hearing the MB500!

12. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification

13. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I can't wait to see the comparisons of the GK MB2-500 and the MB F1... I'll be buying an MB2-500 this year with almost certainty, but will still be curious to see how it stacks up against the F1.

14. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I've been playing with a GK1001RB for about 4 years now. It does sound pretty harsh by its self, but kick in the drums and guitars and wow. I have many fond memories of the band locking in and the bass is everywhere and focused at the same time. It just sounds so good when things lock in.

I tried a Tech 21Bass Driver DI to mellow out the sound, but it just killed my sound in the mix. When I plugged in direct it sounded so much better. This amp really likes a P-bass too. It is as if they voiced it specifically for a P-bass. Turn off the contour, presence and 5 string switch and leave every thing flat. Add boost to taste.

15. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I A-B compared a GK 700 RBII with a LMII. The LMII is in a box waiting for someone to buy it.

The LMII is a great amp - lots of volume, lots of punch. Very "voiceless" IMO. I think my ears though have just gotten too used to hearing the GK. For some reason it still sounds a little like a GK when I plug a VT Bass pedal into the effects return and by pass the GK preamp and try to simulate an SVT. It doesn't totally sound like an SVT this way, but it sounds great. Plug the VT Bass into the pre, and its the best of both worlds.

I can definitely see why some would prefer the LMII, and I may change my mind again, but for now it is the GK for me. We do *not* play aggressive rock, just a little Tom Petty and some John Mellencamp. :) You'd think the LMII would suit that style better than the GK, and maybe it would for other ears than mine. I have noisy guitar players who EQ fairly bassy despite my screams of protest, and the LMII was more lost in the mix than the GK is - not lost, just *more* lost than the GK, which seemed to sit when it needed to sit and come forth when I needed it to come forth, if that makes sense.

I *do* play a P bass however, and agree that a GK with a P bass is a perfect match.

16. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i dumped my LMII for a GK 1001RB-II,, & damn glad i did :hyper:

17. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Thanks, I get it now! Sounds like it be great for some nice heavy in-your-face rock.

18. Does the stand alone GK pre-amp have that same grit?

19. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I did the same thing. :)

20. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have a GK2001RB and I just picked up an R500 - the LMII gets all the attention, but if you want some grit, the R500 is where it's at. It will grind and growl like the GK, but it sounds more natural. Not necessarily better, just different, and worth checking out.

I was just jamming mine through my Bag End S15-D stack and it KILLS. I was also just A/Bing the GK against the R500, each going through an S15-D, and they sounded more similar than different, with the GK having a more extended top end (it has a bigger low end too, but it is less apparent through the BE's). The R500 was smoother and more compressed, but in a good way.

I know the original post was about two different amps, but the 2001 is close enough to the 1001 for sake of comparison, and the main point being that if you want grit from MB, you're barking up the wrong tree with the LMII - give the R500 a whirl.

JR