1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMII Compared to a GK1001RBII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by santucci218, Sep 15, 2008.

1. MB LM2 FTW!!!!

2. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

I'm going to bring in my rig into my job one day to compare my GK2001 to the TA501. My Rick sounded lovely through the TA501 and 8x10 cab. I'll have to see how it goes with my pedalboard and 4x10 avatar cab.

3. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Funny, this is where the whole "subjective thing" kicks in. To me, the GK tone is great with or without a band. In fact compared to other heads I've owned, it's probably the only one that can give me the most consistent sound in both environments. It really brings out the Jazz bass throaty-ness and makes my Musicman's sing. The StingRay 4 HH using the two outter coils (like a Jazz) sounds the best to me. I pretty much run the EQ flat, Boost at noon, some Contour and Presence to taste and then a touch of bass EQ on the MM. Yes there is some grunt and grind and the headroom is wonderful. I say try the MB LMII but KEEP the GK as well. I still kick myself for not getting one sooner.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    That's how I hear it as well. I've sold many basses to friends and always demonstrated them with my GK. They usually call me days later saying the bass didn't sound as good in their houses as it sounded in mine. I tell them it's the amp and many of them have sold their heads to buy GK stuff and haven't looked back.

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Cool.

I have a TA503 on the way and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the 2001RB & R500. I'm guessing it will be cleaner than either of them but I'm gonna do my best to coax some grit out of it!

JR

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    You gotta tell me the results of that :]

7. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Well, after reading through all these, i see that maybe the Markbass isnt right for me. I really enjoy the grit of the Gk1001, but I just wish it was more warm sounding.

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You may want to try a 800 or 700RB, many say it get's warmer than the 1001.

9. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have to toally agree, I was actually about to sell the GK, until I played out with it and was floored with the tone , really awesome.

10. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    my old gk700rb sounded great through every cab i had, and with every bass i had. i really regret selling it.

11. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    although i should note: im not a big fan of the LMII, but i absolutely adore the markbass f-1. i would say try as much as you can before making any decisions, but your GK is no slouch of an amp, and you could safely buy a LM II or used markbass head on the TB classifieds and always resell it without taking a hit if it didnt suit you.

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    the 800 is interesting, but i dont know if anyone would trade one for a 1001...maybe i should try.

13. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    Keep your eyes open for used ones...

I picked up my 800RB from GC's online used website for $160. I couldn't believe the price.

Everything worked great for a while, but then it started cutting out (figured out why it was priced so low!).

Anyway, took it in to get it fixed (Musicmakers in Austin, TX). One week and $75 later it's good as new. It's old technology, and they're fairly easy to fix.

I had a 1001RB-II, but sold it before moving to TX. Glad I still have the 800RB. I found a 700/210 combo at a pawn shop for about $500... Haven't picked it up yet, but I keep thinking about it everytime I drive by!

FWIW, I love the 800RB just as much as I loved the 1001RB-II, if not more so. It's nice because it has two outputs. So you can run (if you wanted) 3 cabinets (2 8Ohm cabs at the full power and 1 8Ohm cab at 50Watts - nice if you want to run one as a monitor).

Also, I've been wanting to try a Sansamp VT Bass pedal through the 800 to see how it would sound... Might give you that "warmer" tone that you're looking for, but you could still keep your GK grittyness.

14. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    You really think the Sansamp would really add warmth? I could just add it to my 1001, no? or is the 800RB really that different.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The only way to know is to actually try it. Especially if you consider all of the factors you don't know about all of these opinions, pro or con. Heck, other than your favorite band, what do they know about your situation?
    :D

Or you can just find out sometime down the road.
    :cool:

I have a friend who loves his 1001 through his Bag End coax 210. He's a funk player. He tried an LMII and it didn't blow his skirt up. Then a couple of days later he used mine through my Nahas cabs... and loved it. Same amp, different results.

I've used several GK amps over the years, most recently owned an 800RB and I couldn't be happier with my LMII. Doesn't mean you will... or won't.

16. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    well, ide go out guitar center, but they blow first off. and second off, they dont have the cabinet i have, Avatar 4x10 Neo.

17. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Try the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

So take the cab to the store. It's light, isn't it?
    :D

Bottom line, people can tell you what something sounds like all day long and you still won't really know until you hear it. I sure as heck wouldn't base any amp decision solely on verbal input. YMMV

I'll leave it at that.
    :cool:

19. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i use a gk rb800 with a sansamp vt bass. i think it's a pretty good tone. i really like the head by itself but the vt does add some extra warmness. i'm waiting for the reviews of the gk 500 micro head.

20. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    If you guys all say it adds warmness, im going to see if i cant get one in the next few weeks here, lol.