1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMII Compared to a GK1001RBII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by santucci218, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I've seen this question a few times. Many replies say that since the preamp doesn't have the GK poweramp that it can't achieve the same grit and growl. It does however have the 2001's OD/distortion channel, so...
    Brent

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've heard that pre through a CA9 and it was not impressive - not at all. I'm a 1001 RB II guy. The key to warmth is Boost and Contour at noon in my rig. EQ is for the most part flat - which on a GK is actually a mild scoop.

Those settings are very cab dependant though. My Bag End cabs need the additional scoop from the contour. With some basses, they want a little less in the upper mids.

I also have a 1x15 & 2x10 stack using an Avatar on top and a 3015 in a generic cab on the bottom. That setup is a little darker so I can restore the upper mids.

The BDDI isn't really necessary - I have one and it doesn't suck in front of the GK - but it doesn't really add anything either. Basically i can get to the same place using the Boost and the Contour. Where the BDDI shines is when I sit in with an acoustic guitarist/singer buddy - I play through that into his Mackie PA - nice carry, bass, strap, 2 cables, little box, all fit's into the gig bag. Tear down is pretty nice too!

That the contour is variable on the 1001 is a large advantage over the 800 to me ...

3. +1 Many times IME when you are using a separate pre with a separate PA type power amp, the 'magic' of certain tones is lost, I assume due to the gain matching not being optimal, the low end roll-off of the amp being set differently, and also the fact that integrated bass head manufacturers/designers, I assume, put some limiting and other coll stuff 'post pre' that impacts the tone.

I'm always amazed at how, in general, disappointing the sound I hear is when I see a bass player live with a big modular rack of stuff. It's usually a deep, boomy mess to my ear.