1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMII LAME ? De JOUR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luknfur, Aug 4, 2007.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Any issues with just running a 4 ohm speaker alone through the ¼” speaker out (#16 in the manual). From what I gather from the manual there’s no issues but no doubt someone’s done it so why not ask.

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I run 2 8 ohm cabs to get 4 ohm. Same thing. works perfectly.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    No problemo dude!:smug:

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Thanks,

Good. Then I'll see what it sounds like through something besides a GS112. I thought maybe the speakon might be like a primary input or something.

Also GC sent a 6' speakon cable with the amp - these amps come with the speakon?

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm assuming it's just a wording problem and you're not confused, but just in case...

The speakon connector is an output, not an input, and it's directly in parallel with the 1/4" jack (in other words, no such thing as primary and secondary or input and output/passthru).

In fact, it's one of the special speakon connectors that's ALSO a 1/4" in the middle hole, so really, you have TWO 1/4" connectors in parallel on the back.

Finally, IMHO, speakons are BY FAR preferrable to 1/4". They make better electrical, more secure physical connections, and there's no risk of amp damage due to short circuit if you disconnect the cab with the amp on.

Even if your cab is 1/4" only, I'd personally still prefer to use the speakon connector on the head and just get an adapter cable, but of course we all know 1/4" has worked ok for folks for years, so it's not like a huge problem, either. :)

Oh, and BTW, I've also used both connectors on mine and had no problems... I just prefer the speakon... obviously... :)

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh the input thing was a brain fart. Hadn't noticed the center of the speakon being 1/4 and don't recall the manual mentioning as much but that is good idea. The cab just doesn't have a speakon so the initial question.

What about GC sending the speakon out with the LMII?

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006

The manual does indeed mention the Speakon Combo Jack handling both types of connectors.

Re: GC...you got lucky!;)

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    No problems running my LMII using the 1/4 jack in to my 1210 4ohms or UL212 4ohms.