1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMII OR LMIII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mat666, Mar 31, 2009.

1. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I wondered if there was a difference. like the new combos has the LMIII in it should I be looking for old combos to get the LMII sound or the new ones are the same?

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    They are pretty much the same just with a few more switches on the III, cabs are the same.

And I don;t think US or Canada will be seeing them for a year or two.

3. It seems the new LMIII's SHOULD have virtually the same tone as the current LMII's, with a few differences:

1) Better power amp limiting, which you should notice if pushing the amp at 8ohms. My guess is, you won't hear it if you are running at 4ohms.

2) More fully featured DI, with pre/post switch and line out volume (for most, this is also a minor deal, unless you are constantly switching to pre/post going from live to studio, and feed into very low level boards that would require a certain feed level).

I would wait a month or two and see if the current models drop in price, unless 1 or 2 float your boat.

Of course, the LMTube is a different thing, with multiple inputs, mute switch and a blendable tube. That's the spec that seems like it will once again totally blow most away (just like the initial LMII introduction).

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    If you plan on running an 8 ohm speaker go for the LMIII, it shouldn't compress like the LMII can when pushed hard at 8 ohms.

5. I too am not hopeful. While Peter Murray does a nice job as marketing rep, I absolutely HATE this 'they will be released in 2 months' thing. That's what he said about the F500 over a YEAR ago.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I completely agree with your frustration. I pm'd Peter a week
    or two ago to ask about a possible release date for the F500.
    No Answer!

The problem is that after seeing the F500, and knowing about
    the changes they've made in the amp, I have major G.A.S.
    for this head. I've used the GK mb500, the Carvin BX500, the
    Genz Shuttle 6.0, etc, etc. The F500 gives me the woody. I
    want one yesterday. Markbass has my heart, now I want the
    opportunity to give them my money. lol

7. +1 IMO, the F1 is almost perfect. The F500 seems literally perfect! It is now a full year after promised introduction. It is still not listed on the Musician's Friend website (whic usually does a 90 day pre listing prior to introduction). None of the new LMIII line is listed, and the LMII and F1 are still on there as full price.

This suggests that none of this stuff is within 6 months of being introduced in the US. I hope I'm wrong.

8. CodaPDX

CodaPDX

Feb 2, 2009
    I'm wrestling with whether to hold off and get a LM III or Tube, or just go for the LM II, myself. This is what I got from Markbass when I sent an email asking when the new Little Marks would be available:

I'm cool with waiting 'til May or June to get the latest and greatest, but if like you say the new ones aren't going to be available for a whole year then I'm just gonna say screw it and get the LM II.

9. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Artist Relations and Social Media Manager, Pigtronix and Supro
    This may sound like passing the buck, but let me tell you this-- we can only ship gear once it has been ordered. And after that it has to cross the ocean, otherwise you'd pay much more if it was shipped by air. I can assure you that there have been no lags in production on any of these models, and the distributors who order them fast get them fast. That's why I have been saying that these new models go into production and start shipping in April. THAT is the truth. As to when the gear ends up in the US... that depends on several other factors that are less in our control. Trust me, there's no conspiracy to deprive you of Markbass gear to buy. And there are no production delays.
    On top of all of this, I've learned the hard way that it's dangerous to guestimate ETAs. So if I'm being at all cagey, it's because I don't want to make anybody angry when things arrive later than expected. We're doing everything we can. We want you to have access to all our gear!

10. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    then what about moMark Peter?

11. Very good. Has the F500 been cancelled, or will this too be in the eventual shipping of the 'new products'?

12. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    tell you one thing I just bought my 102p a few months ago and the tweeter cuts in and out so I'm going to wait until they come out before I use my 4 year no questions asked replacement.

13. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    one thing nobody's mentioned is the treble freq on the lmiii is centered at 5k instead of 10k like the lmii. That's *HUGE* IMO.

14. The LMII has so much natural, even, treble response that I've literally never touched the treble control. There is a LOT of sizzle inherently built into the tone of that head (which is why the slappers love it so much). However, +1 in that a lower start to the treble shelving point (or center point to a very wide Q treble control) should make that control more useful to those who have very dark sounding basses or cabs.

15. Xechs

Xechs

Mar 16, 2009
    Northern VA
    Was at my local GC yesterday and they have the LMII on clearance for $549.99. The guy in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532434 picked one up from their GC for $499.99. So looks like you can save $50-$100 right now if you don't mind picking up the LMII vs. the III.

16. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Depends on what you're doing. If you're playing jaco/willis type solos it could use more treble, definitely. I also play guitar and occasionally use it as a power amp when running my axe-fx preamp into it. (The axe-fx has a great tube bass preamp btw...). For guitar, it definitely could use some treble shaping in the 5k area.

17. Interesting. I don't view either Jaco or Willis as having a particularly large amount of upper treble in their tone. Upper mids, definitely, but 5K?

I think you are talking about that 1K growl, which is added very nicely by the upper mid control on that amp. I agree, the amp is more even than 'bright' in the upper mids. However, when I talk about treble response, I'm more talking about, for example, Marcus Miller's tone, and man, that tone is in that amp with the tone controls set flat to my ear. IMO and IME though. So, much has to do with technique, strings, and cabinet matches.

I agree the LMII is not upper mid bright, like, for example, the Shuttle (or the F1). But sizzle above 4K... it has that in spades if you want it, and the VLE let's you take as much of that out as you want.

That being said, again +1 to lowering the 'tuning' of that treble control. It will be more useful than the current frequency range IMO.

18. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    no, i'm not talking about 1k growl. I'm talking about high frequencies that cut and are not muddy or spikey. 10k is too high for a treble control for bass. Bass and guitar speakers don't reproduce anything about about 4.5k except for slapping and then you're talking about a 2 or 3 way cab. The 10k is good for slap control but a better design would be a variable center point on the treble or a treble at 5k and bright at 10k. On the lmII if you're trying to do solo lines ala willis or Tony Grey it doesn't quite have enough brightness.

This has nothing to do with technique or cabs by the way.

19. +1 I do agree that lowering the treble center point (I think it's actually a very wide Q control versus a true shelving) would be a positive.

The SA450 (which is the same amp as the LMII in a slightly bigger case with more features) has semi-parametric mids, and the upper mid band goes pretty far up into the lower treble region. That would also probably allow a bit of 'brightening' in the lower treble region.

I don't have this issue myself, since my two way neo cabs have a LOT going on up there, but I can see if you are trying to dial some upper mid/lower treble brightness into a one way cab, that 10K treble control probably wouldn't do anything.

20. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Agreed, and even into my UL112 cabs, the 10k treble tends to be in the range of the mid/tweeter and doesn't hit the sweet spot for solo playing. For 90% of regular bass playing the LMII is perfect. Looks like the LMIII will hit that extra 10% with the 5k treble and the better direct out. Not sure if I'll upgrade though. hehe....

I might take a look at the little mark tube though.