1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LMII, TFB550, UL410, AGWJR - How to pair up??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Apr 10, 2009.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I have been using the LMII + UL410 as my live rig for awhile now. However, I just bought a TFB550 and AG Whappo Jr from the classifieds. I was going to pair the two together. But I can't stop thinking about how the LMII and AGWJR will sound together. Does anybody have any real time with this combo? Also, how does the TFB550 and the UL410 pair up?

Do you think the TFB550 will over throw my LMII as the UL410's amp?

Will the LMII end up on top of the AGWJR instead of the TFB550?

What do you guys/girls think:bassist:

2. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

You will want to ping Dean (Big String) as he has had all of these (but only the LMII remains). I have had the Whappo Jr and TF550B and they sounded great together. I also used my TF550B with Deans UL410 (S1) on one gig and my guitarist HATED it! I guess I crushed the little girly-man :bassist:

3. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I sold my AGWJR to Dean........and IIRC, you ended up with that cab. I really kicked myself in the b**** for selling that cab. The JR is one of the nicest cabs made today. I got a PM from you a long time ago when you were selling the JR, I wanted to buy it back. I was either strapped for $$ or was happy with my current rig at that time - I cant remember.

So I take it you liked the TFB550 + UL410 combo???????

4. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    haven't tried the Jr. but the LMII sounds awesome with my whappo...i've been having thoughts lately of trying an aguilar db750 on top...haven't decided whether to keep the LMII or not...

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I used various versions of the very nice TF550 for a number of years with the 410UL. I ended up liking the LMII much better. I could get 95%+ of the tone of the TF550 with a little EQ, and the LMII, believe it or not, has more headroom and ooomph than the TF550 (which is still a great head), and matches particularly well IMO with the darker, fatter sounding Accugroove cabs and the Aguilar DB cabs.. that sort of 'modern meets vintage' thing.

However, with a more widely, evenly voiced cab like the 410UL, the MB heads rule IMO!

6. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I like the idea of having two 'lightweight' heads..........I am not getting rid of the LMII!!! My other option would be a UL502. Do you think with my cabinet choices, I would be better served with a UL502 than the TFB550??

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Well, you know me... I owned a 502 for a while. Yet another different voicing. Where the TF550 is warm and quick and punchy and slightly compressed, the 502 is HUGE down low, fat, a bit mid polite with a very hi fi top end. The 502 will BURY the TF550 or LMII volume wise. That's the good news. The bad news is, to my ear, it does it in a very bottom heavy, dark, deep way. That huge low end tends to bury that very delicate, beautiful pure treble, given it a very fat, dark type tone. Many love it, but with the big low end of both the 410UL and Whappo, that would be my personal definition of hell:D

If you are looking for that creamy, fat Epifani tone, the TecAmp Puma heads are the bomb, and the 500, while not putting out the massive volume of the 502, wil half the size, 1/3 the weight, a few hundred less expensive, and has much more even voicing and better EQ. It is the bomb with a 4ohm 410UL IMO and IME!

8. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Actually, Dean bought the JR from you after trying mine :D He sold it to a different friend in NW Indiana who still has it IIRC. You and I did the NV610/2 Bag End 15" cabs trade (GC parking lot). The TF550B/UL410 (S1) was definately loud and punchy, but ultimately was not for me. I'm sure a lot of folks would be happy with that rig, but there was something I didn't dig about the mids. Bottom line, it wasn't "my" sound. YMMV, of course.

9. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

I should have known that was coming:smug:

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO, you need nothing else with those cabs and the heads you have. That's top notch stuff:bassist:. The 502 is also, but it has some wierdness to it that I just couldn't come to terms with.

11. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Thanks for the advice.....I know it's good gear, but curiosity is a mofo. I REALLY want to try the Tecamp stuff. But, until this "economic downturn" starts to turn around, I am unable to justify spending any more $$ on gear. If we were having this discussion a year ago, I would already own, or have ordered, a Tecamp Puma 500 and a M212. If the TFB550B leaves me wanting more......I will sell it, save my pennies, and order a Puma 500.

12. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Hey Jason
    Yeah.. what Ken and BRS/Tom said here.
    The TF is a great amp but I always found myself wanting more like you. I thought it was good with the AG cabs an all right with the NV215. The LMII just seems to make me smile over any of the TF's I've tried, but I'm a head-room hog and not very patient at that... I've offed some great gear that I've probably should have kept too.

You might want to take a crack at the M6... :ninja:
    It's really got some ponies but is very, and I'm mean very, clear and unforgiving. I also wonder if you've had the pleasure of trying an AE410 or HS410? I will say though, I've not played a 410 cab that is physically louder than a 410UL S1 but I couldn't love that cab for various reasons although many absolutely love it.

just my two.
    Hey... I thought you bought a B1500 ??

13. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I had it set up.......then the seller disappeared......he wouldn't return my email or phone calls. It sucked as I was really looking forward to trying the 1500. I have some 'new' gear on the way.....a TFB550 and a AGWJR.

I am going to give the 550 one more try.......as far as the JR, I have missed it since I sold my old one. If the 550 doesnt work for me, maybe a brand new 1500 or M6 is in my future.

14. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    You should PM Bassist30 tell him kirk sent you.. He had the same set up.. a TF550 and AG Whappo Jr.. and he used it a few years and knows it well..
    The last we talked he was getting an M6 or M9..
    I echo what Kjung says about the LMII having more headroom to the TF.. not to take anything from the TF which is a great amp..

15. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I did find the M6 to be a little more forgiving if you cranked up the Input gain to get a little tube compression.... but that amp is real hard to do that to with the exception of you hitting it real hard on the input.. it is a very round fast amp though.. and as fast as the TF i think.. but bigger bottom and extended top.

16. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Hey Jason good luck with the new gear it's all very nice and high quality. Glad you got a Jr. again.

Kirk, yeah I've been slowly experimenting with the M6 and I like it very much but I'm still 'dating' not committed. My DB750 love affair is still going strong and it's tough to pick, but I'm going to bring the M6 out again very soon. It's a whoopin' amp for it's size!

My last gig I busted out the LMII to use with my AE410 at a smaller gig. I hadn't used it for a while and didn't need the 750 for this room at all although it would have been great I'm sure. I got the thumbs up from Big Red Six as he and his lovely wife came out to the gig. Tom knows his stuff too, so I was pleased to hear I sat in the mix nicely. It's a great rig. :D