1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMII vs LMIII

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JC JC, Aug 29, 2009.

1. LMII vs LMIII....what are the basic differences and benefits.
    KJung??

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A more versatile DI.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Same Amp.

Pre/Post switch for DI and Level Control for DI.

According to Ken same limiter for the power amp section though it was highly advertised as having a new limiter and all the heads were to include this new limiter. :eyebrow:

4. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    The balanced input impedance has been increased to 1Mohm (it was 22 Kohm on the LMII)
    The "low" and "high" knobs' eq centers have been modified.
    LMIII has some more (3) yellow knobs.

No mute again...
    WHY? :mad:

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    No they never changed the EQ, they just told people they did. I guess it helps create more of a buzz if more things are changed. Marketing?

I really doubt there is any difference in input impedance either. :bassist:

Perhaps the plan was create a buzz then undo it for new buzz for Mo Mark. I saw some of the flag wavers start to turn in that direction.

Anyway I like the amps just not the misinformation.

6. +1 to the above. The bi band limiter was listed on the website for a few weeks as part of the LM upgrade, but MB decided to not include it (not sure about the highly advertised part... it was more three or four of us talking about it too much on TB:D) As indicated on the website, that is a feature of the new Momark modules.

Anyway, from the information I have from asking about this, the LMIII just adds the more fully featured DI, so it is virtually identical to the LMII (although the pre/post switch and level control is a nice addition IMO). The real 'upgrade' from the LMII is the LMTube, which has the updated DI, plus a mute switch, a combo jack XLR in with its own volume control, and of course, the blendable tube pre, which is pretty subtle.

So, no reason to 'upgrade' to the III if you have the II... just a nice 'freshening' of that product with the improved DI. The LMTube is basically what I would call the 'upgraded LMII'.

The F500 is a similar 'update' on the F1... with the full featured DI, mute switch, and semi-parametric mids. Nice!

7. There were some different EQ points that I guess they were considering and that made it onto the website a while back. However, everything is the same on the III as the II, and the website has been 'accurate' for quite some time now.

I'm not sure about the input impedance on the XLR, but higher would be an improvement I guess for using mic's, if I understand that correctly.

I'm with you, they put a push/pull mute on the Tube LM's, but not the 'standard' LMI's... not sure what the logic was there.

Again, the web specs have been 'accurate' for some time now, after some bobbing and weaving early on. No active 'advertising' was done on this level of detail. The stuff they were talking about (limiting and EQ points) was not exactly huge stuff for the typical player (most bassists couldn't tell you what a power amp safety limiter is or if their bass EQ knob was shelving at 40 or wide Q at 60 or whatever even if you had a gun to their head). I assume they were messing with specs, etc. right up to pre production. So, doesn't bother me, especially since the website has been corrected for months now. IMO there... fudging weight spec's bums me out a bit. Putting some esoterica on a website spec sheet that ended up almost immediately being revised is a pretty minor and relatively typical thing in the world of rapidly introducing new products. IMO!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The logic is that Marco doesn't like mute switches, doesn't get all the fuss about people wanting them, and he thinks the only ones who want them are us crazy Americans. I think his adding a push-pull mute on the LMTube (horrible way to add a mute, BTW) was a bone he threw to those clamoring for one.

9. hhmm refreshing news as I got a lmII marco edition very shortly before the III was announced. . . I challked it up the the same luck I always have - by the time I pull the trigger on something it's outdated :(

I wasnt too bummed though because I absolutely LOVE my LMII!! I could careless because of that, but this is a nice little piece of mind :D

10. Yeah, I view the LMIII as just a touch of freshening, but not messing with a 'good thing'. Kind of like what car companies do in the middle of a model run.... tweak it a touch to keep up with the market, but not so much that those who bought an LMII last year (much less last month) would bum out. Nice strategy IMO, especially since they provided a more major 'update' with the LMTube for those who want more 'bells and whistes', etc.

Peter Murray was nice enough to bounce back this information to me after I sent a PM a while back asking him if the current website spec's were 'up to date' and accurate (since I was getting some PM from guys asking me about the stuff, since I like these heads so much). I'm sure he will pop in here if anything I'm saying is inaccurate.

11. That's my guess also, and +1 to the push/pull on the LMTube and LM800Tube.... pretty awkward to use. Surprisingly, the push/pull on the F500 is 'OK', given the different knob design and the 'stiffer' pot taper.

The Momark has a more traditional (and well thought out) mute botton as an option (no cost) on the input modules.

12. Damn bullheaded eye-talians!!!!!!

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Is there much difference in tone between LMII/III vs. LMTube?

14. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    Well, the manual says so... And it sounded wonderful with my ABG plugged in via the Fishman Platinum Pro-Eq.

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    This was realesed in April of 09.

Little Mark III NEW
    500W, Solid State Preamp, Analog Power
    The Little Mark II was introduced in 2005, and its popularity has increased steadily
    ever since. In April of 2008, it was voted Best Bass Head and All-Around Best
    New Product by the readers of Bass Player magazine. Inspired by this success,
    we have now created the Little Mark III! Its solid-state preamp has a warm, natural
    and true-to-the-source sound, and the new bi-band limiter provides better dynamic
    response, faster attack and more natural sound than traditional limiters. The new
    DI output features a pre-post EQ switch and output level control, so you can
    optimize your direct signal. And it has the same compact size and light weight of
    its famous predecessor!

And another mention of the limiter.

MARKBASS MAKES BIG NAMM SPLASH
    27/01/2009
    Markbass defied all expectations at the recent NAMM show in Anaheim California, unveiling an incredible 49 new products at a launch event on January 15. The launch also included the introduction of sister brands Markaudio (PA gear), Markacoustic (acoustic instrument amps and combos) and Markguitar (electric guitar amps, cabs and combos).
    Among the new Markbass offerings, which go into production in April:
    The New Little Mark Family
    - Little Mark III: upgrades the popular Little Mark II with an improved DI output with line out level control and a pre/post EQ switch, and a new bi-band output limiter. Same size, weight and price as the Little Mark II;
    - Little Mark 800: same as the LMIII, but boasting an 800W digital power amp;
    - Little Mark Tube: includes both a tube preamp and a solid state preamp, which can be blended; separate gain controls for the 1/4" and XLR/1/4" combo input jacks, and 48V phantom power for the latter; line out level control, and push/pull mute on the master knob;
    - Little Mark Tube 800: same as the Little Mark Tube, but with 800 watts of digital power

More to come. You decide.

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well at this point anything is possible. Here is how I see it.

As long as folks say the new impedance is great then it will be left alone but if someone comes along and says the new impedance is a good idea but it offers up a new problem MB did not think of, then it never actually got put in at production and Ken is here to tell us that all got cleared up months ago. Bam it's like Magic. Thank you for saving the day Ken!:D

I'm guessing here but I believe the LMIII I have actually has the Bi Band limiter and after all the fuss I made they pulled it out and pretended it never happened.

Dang it sounds like a vast right wing conspiracy.:eek::D

Any who at least I'm having fun. ;)

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Stop it, now.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Let me try to be more clear if I can.

The mention of the limiter being changed and the website being updated months ago to me makes it sound a lot smoother than the reality.

I got my LMIII in May of 09 and the website kept the info on the (Bi Band) limiter on there for some time after that.

It almost seems that Ken is trying to make nice for MarkBass over the subject.

Ken did the same thing over the EQ issue until I posted a quote from Peter Murray where he stated the EQ's had been changed to the new numbers on the site (which was not correct).

It's like he tried to smooth it all over and make it a non issue and his statements were incorrect when he said it was all just a typo, then I posted the quote.

I suppose I can go back and find that and post it.

I probably should just bow out since I seem to be coming across the wrong way.

I'm just trying to figure out what the actual facts are as Ken seems to be gving up the softer version.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    moderator deleted content.

Not really...I just wanted in on the fun!

20. DoubleD

DoubleD

Jul 23, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I had the same question. Here's my thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573779

Honestly, in 100% SS, the LMTube sounds virtually, if not completely, identical to the LMII. If you're on the fence, get the LMTube. It's a $100 difference and the tube addition and dual inputs is well worth it. And the tube sounds very nice. Subtle, but VERY nice. :)