1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LMII with VT Bass and/or Bass Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MarkyDynaBass, Apr 1, 2009.

1. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    I went a little ebay crazy the other day and bought a 2nd hand VT Bass and a new Bass Big Muff.

To keep a short story long, I'd been looking for a 2nd hand VT Bass pedal for a while now, they're too expensive new here ($300au!!) and have been looking at fuzz/overdirve alternatives Big Muff/Voodoo etc. I found the BBM real cheap on a US ebay store, almost 1/2 price compared to here so I thought I'd order it as it could be forever before a VT came up for sale. As it happened later that day a VT Bass came up for auction - I got in contact with the guy and talked him into a buy-it-now price and bought it!

So now, I've got a new Bass Big Muff on route from the US and a 2nd hand VT Bass coming from Adelaide :) Nice, but, really I can't afford to keep both. Am I right in that the VT Bass is more versatile than the BBM and can get a similar fuzz going (found a reference to that in a search here). If I sell on the BBM I don't really want to open any packaging or anything to still sell it as 'New' and will probably make a little profit on it too.

Anyways, so would that be what you'd do?, Keep the VT, sell and profit from the BBM. Any real reason to consider keeping both?

2. rootshock

rootshock

Feb 17, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The VT bass is built to emulate an SVT...

A big Muff is a distortion/fuzz box...

The 2 pedals are designed to do different things... I wouldn't expect the VT Bass to be purchased to use strictly as a fuzz. Nor would you buy a Big Muff to be an SVT emulation rig...

Did you buy the pedals for a specific reason, or did you just get GAS from reading threads? I don't see why you wouldn't want to keep both if you were using them in the way I believe each pedal was designed to be used...

What style of music do you play or are you trying to play using these pedals?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The VT IS an SVT emulator, but it's also quite the nifty overdrive pedal. That's how I usually use it. But it's a whole different animal from the BBM. The BBM is a fuzzbox. The VT will get nasty but it never truly gets into fuzz tone.

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    You keep both because then you can run one into the other, as well as setting them up to do two wildly different things.

5. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    Embarrassingly there was a touch of TB induced GAS in these purchases. I've been looking for an overdrive and alot of suggestions around here for the VT and from what I've heard I think I'll like. The Muff was, as I said, a second choice, although completely different and over the top, and I think I just got a bit carried away with the cheap price. Anyways, writing the thread sorted out what I'm going to do anyway. Play with the VT and see how it suits me, and sell the Muff, can always buy another if I really get the craving for one.

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The VT works really well with the LMII, making it sound like a dirty Ampeg instead if totally clean. It's good for mild overdrive but sounds terrible at high gain settings. The BBM however is a totally different beast, and I predict you will fall in love with fuzz and end up keeping both!

Oh, and most of the pedal purchases made by everyone round here are becuase of a little TB GAS, so don't worry about it. Resistance is futile.

7. I think you'll be the best one to answer that question after a few weeks of mucking around. Sometimes you never know if a pedal is right or wrong til you've been using it for a while.

I was looking for an octaver for a while and decided on the uPOG bc it gets such a good rap around here but it's not for me.

Let us know which one's the keeper.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    They are different things, but I think you would get more use from the VT Bass, I love mine going into a Markbass head.

9. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    I hope not, I really can't afford them both

Yup this is where knowledge is a bad thing.... ;)

10. MarkyDynaBass

MarkyDynaBass

Mar 19, 2009
    Melbourne
    Damn! you were right about the BBM... Jammin' by myself was fun, used it for the first time in rehearsal with my post-rock instumental band and it rocked!!! Was also the first time I used my new rig, mid song the drummer mouth 'sounds good', I pretended to step on the BBM and mouthed "better" :bassist:

The VT is a bit borderline for me, I'm still learning about the LMII and the VT and haven't found my tone yet. I was going to use it as an overdrive but the BBM has taken over my 'go louder' requirements. I'm thinking at the moment it my be my 'little bit tougher' pedal.