1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

LMK II vs WW Ultra

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pdbass, Apr 23, 2009.

1. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I was always one of those people seeing Walter Woods amps being sold, never owning one, but hoping someday I could justify spending that kind of money. You know how it is. You go to eBay and you type in "Walter Woods" or "Fodera" or something just to see what somebody's selling and you keep an eye out just to see how much it goes for. Well, I decided to take the plunge this weekend and spend $2600+ and buy one I saw for sale.

Up until now, I've only used 2 amps for the last 2 years: a LMK II and an F-1. The F-1 only lasted about a month before I sold it. It sounded a lot less 'organic' than the LMK, IMHO. I've been mostly happy with the LMK, so naturally I was floored when I plugged the WW into my Epifani 3x10 with my Fender 5 and my Fodera.

Wow. Something I've missed since playing Markbass stuff: the bass hit me right in the chest. The LMK has never done it like this. The Woods is loud as hell, and the headroom is awesome. I couldn't help but thump on it, it punched like crazy. Something else I noticed immediately was high end. My tweeter has been maxed since using the LMK. All of a sudden, I have to bring my tweeter level down to 12:00 again. I've enjoyed Markbass stuff alot, but the high end thing (or lack thereof) has always been kind of a pet peeve of mine. It's nice to have my tweeter back in the game again. LOL. I played with the EQ, and confirmed what's already been said: it's subtle and well-voiced, and definitely not as drastic as the LMK's. It's a great-sounding amp when everything is totally flat, and the amp doesn't completely change stripes if I boost a certain area. It has this character that just keeps coming, and it sounds great.

One criticism that I've heard before, and confirmed: not the biggest bottom on this amp. That's probably the one area I would give the LMK an edge. The Woods is a 'flatter' sounding amp, and I've found myself coming up to 2 or 3:00 with the bass control to get the 'phat' bottom I'm used to--but the amp always sounds like what it is: a WW, no matter where any pot is on it. I'm lovin' it. IME, it took a minute to find 'my sound' on the LMK, some twiddling of knobs had to take place to get to where I wanted to be. The Woods is as close to plug-and-play as I've experienced, and the sound is worth every penny I paid...and every year I plan on playing through it. I'm lovin' it.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just another point of view. I used a variety of Walters for over 20 years, the last being the 1200 watt Ultra. I didn't dig it AT ALL with the Epi310UL... loud as hell, but thin with no balls (at home, it sounded great, on the gig, it tended to thin out). I got an F1 (and an LMII), sold the Walter, and never looked back.

I like a Marcus Miller type tone, and run the LMII flat, with the Epi tweeter on about 10 o'clock. The idea that the LMII lacks high end is confusing to me, unless it's user error, thinking the VLE is flat at noon. The Walter is brighter in the upper mids though, so that might be what you are hearing. But, tweeter maxed in the 310UL with an LMII.. my gosh!

The Walters are GREAT heads, IMO and IME the MB stuff is better to my ear... much more balls, almost just as loud as the Utra in my A/Bing.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Here's a tip on the Walter. To fatten up the bottom, don't crank the bass control (especially with the Epi cab). Crank up the 'return volume' knob (the knob on the very right of the head). That's called the 'magic knob'. I'm not sure why, but it pumps up the upper bass, where the Walter has a bit of a hole. Check it out, it will punch up your head really nicely between noon and full on.

Enjoy that head. The Walters again or great, and when you get gear at the level of the MB and Walter, it's pure personal taste regarding which one you dig more:bassist:

Edit: And one final thought... if you get a chance to try the Walter with the Berganiton AE410, I would HIGHLY recommend it!

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Its funny...I roll the high endback on the LMII. It doesn't sound like we're talking about the same amp. Where do you have your filters set?

5. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I either run it 2 ways: VPF barely off of zero, or VLE and VPF just south of 9:00. Maybe I used the wrong words! The LMK doesn't lack for highs, but maybe what I was looking for were 'tweeter-type' highs that I become accustomed to hearing from SWR, Eden, etc. 'Organic' is a great word to describe them, but not really 'zingy' or 'slicing'. I thump alot, and it's just great to hear those slicing highs come out of the cab again when I pop.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Yeah, something very strange going on here. The LMII is MUCH closer to the SWR zing than my Walter Woods, and it's MUCH more alive up in the 'tweeter range' than the Eden.

I slap and pop a bit, and with my active J basses, I run the LMII flat, with the Epi tweeter around 10 o'clock and it sizzles like crazy.

I do agree, the Walter is bright in the upper mids and lower treble... that might be what you are hearing. Interestingly, that 1K area is where most who slap dial a bit of that out!

Anyway, moot point, since you have the Walter and like it, but your description makes me think something strange is going on with your LMII.

7. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I have seen a lot of stuff over time on TB about how WW amps don't marry particularly well with Epifani cabs...I personally do not agree with this assessment. I get fantastic sound both at home and on gigs from a WW Ultra 1200 paired with an Epifani UL410 II...

This stuff is so incredibly subjective that you really need to trust your own ears, one person's "lack of low end," is another person's "tight and articulate low end punch"....IMHO and IME...

8. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    + to the 1!

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 If you dig it, you dig it. End of story:)

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just to be clear, I dont' think anyone has said the Epi/WW doesn't sound 'good'. It's just that, for those of us who make a study of this stuff, and have heard and gigged the Walter with many different cabs, and heard and gigged the EpiUL's with many different heads, many of us feel that particular mix and match is not as good as many others.

Again, if you've tried a bunch of stuff, and dig the Walter/EpiUL the best, that's of course totally cool (I gigged your same rig of a number of years. It never sounded 'bad', just IMO not as 'good' as a lot of other combinations of both those wonderful pieces of gear).