1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LMKII fan noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vorago, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Here's the deal, since I played a really loud gig (I really pushed my LMKII +2x10 to the limits), the fan on my LMKII head seems to be louder than before. It's hard to compare, because I never really paid attention to it before, but the fact that I am paying attention to it now means something has changed. It's not a problem on stage, but I don't like it.

Can this be caused by pushing the amp? Or are there other possible explanations for this? Dust maybe?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Bump

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  4. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I think fans just get louder as they get older. Although I have never used a LMII I have seen this happen with many computers. It can be from dust in the bearings, the bearing starting to wear out and/or the motor wearing out. I'm not sure exactly what you should do to fix the problem. If the sound really bothers you, you could get the fan replaced.

It also sounds like you need a larger cab for gigs with your current band so you don't have to push your amp so hard. 210s are nice and portable so you might want to add another 210 that you could bring for gigs where you need more volume.

5. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    It hasn't happened to my LMII, however I did have the same problem with a GK. First I blew out the fan motor with compressed air and I put a little (damn little) gun oil in the bearings and the noise stopped.

6. you can replace the fan yourself but that would void any warranty if that matters to you

7. The LMII fan DOES change speed with the amps need for it to.. ie- as it is pushed harder/louder, as amp gets warmer. Mine- I've never noticed-but as stated above-probly just a build up of dust etc & a goood clean w/ compressed air & a bit of sewing machine oil/ or gun oil - I personally use a sewing machine for protection-all those needle prods & cotton going everywhere scares the heck outta MOST men!

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep variable speed. The one I had never left idle and it was barley audible when "not" playing. In fact for a while I didn't even know it had a fan.

I'd email the US rep that's always posting here in TB and get some feedback. If nothing else ask him how much trouble in general they've had with the fan. Doesn't sound like a problem or concern to me but he would know - and I'd ask.