1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lo and behold, NALD!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by MrSidecar, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Yes, and if the top of the bridge wanders a mm or two to either side, not impossible... Luckily my all plain guts have no coloured winding (whats the name? Silks!) to mess it up.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  2. Sporting a colorful mix of strings as well... what are these???

Seriously, how far do you push it in terms of precision?

Best
    Sidecar

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The E, A, and D are all Pirastro Jazzers, that's just what their silks look like. The G is a Pirastro Original Flat Chrome, which pairs nicely with them in tension, gauge and sound. On my bass anyway, the Jazzer's G is not quite right.

4. OK, so I took the plunge and adjusted the (Velvet) tail gut. After being on for a couple of years, it was not surprising that I could not untie the knob, which meant I had to make a cut with a plier. This again meant that I actually shortened the tail gut a bit more than I wanted, the tailpiece is now very near to the saddle.
    There was a difference. Part of it probably the effect of taking things apart and back together, which sort of losen everything up a bit. But the bass got back some of the reverbant sound from before. To start with, the afterlenths were very close to the 2 octaves and a 4th. But after settling in, it ended at 2 octaves and a #4... And the "reverb" lessened.
    So my tailpiece is probably too long to get to the 2 octaves and a 4th, I can not imagine making the tail gut even shorter. I am not shure I can get my head around getting a new tailpiece at the moment. Are other afterlength tunings recommended (5th)? At least I believe shortening the tail gut "tightened" up the sound at bit, now that there is less amount of "wobbly" string by the saddle...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  5. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    @TroyK I recently got a tailpiece from Jake as well, and generally like what it's done for my instrument. I'm curious if you're getting 2 octaves + 4th on each string though since that seems hard to accomplish given the compensated tailpiece. Thanks for your help!

6. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, Jake set it up, hands on with 2 octaves* + 4th on each string and it solved every shortcoming and wolfe tone and issue real or perceived with my bass. That was probably ... 10 years ago at least. It slips in and out as I change strings, seasons change, tailpiece wire stretches...probably not any more. I tune individual strings with something as a stop gap (pieces of take out chopsticks work well or lately I've been using snips of bass guitar string silks) until I can get it back to Jake and then he can wave his wand at it and get it dialed back in again without the shims.

In theory, with the right components any luthier or player who was comfortable with that level of setup could get it dialed in too. I'm just not comfortable doing that level of adjustment on my own.

*I think it's 2 octaves +, but it's very VERY high note, I could be convinced that it was 3 octaves or 6. But the pitch is an 11th from the open string.

7. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    Cool!!!! Mine is not completely dialed in yet, but I'm working with a Luthier on it :) and the results are good.

I'm specifically interested in how you end up with a 4th on all the strings despite the varying afterlengths of the compensated tailpiece-- seems a little counter intuitive. I've actually already spoken to Jake about this and he suggested the primary concern is to get solid pitches, but I'm curious what your experience is messing around with your own tailpiece / any insights you've got.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I don't have insights, I'm afraid. I never really tried to understand.

The difference in our experience, I think is that I was able to leave my bass with Jake and let him not only make and install the tailpiece, but set it up as well.