lo-fi eq settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sDg, Jun 18, 2003.

1. sDg

Feb 26, 2003
    Wise, Virginia
    Are there EQ settings that create a lo-fi effect? It seems like there should be, but I am not enough of a sound man to know for sure.

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What do you mean by lo-fi? What equipment are you trying to use it with?

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Well, it'd be good to know what sort of eq capabilities you have to do this...

In general, cut everything, and boost ONE band, uaually high mid or something. That might do what you want.
  4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Ibanez makes a "Lo-Fi" stompbox. Exactly what it does, I don't know. I would think it would sound best on vocals or drums, and give you something like the muffled sounds that Nine Inch Nails sometimes uses. But, again, I don't know for sure. You could look into it. It's the LF-7.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got one of the chanels on my recording desk permamently set to what I likk to call "Muff tone". It' kinda sounds like I'm talking through a telephone. Is that what you're after?

If so, Boost the 1 to 2k region of the eq by as as much as you can, then cut everything else out byt as much as you can. Kinda like a massive "sad face" eq curve.
  6. yeah...this box is one of those unique and unusual effects that I don't think has sold at all (at least not in my town) but will most likely be sought after by collectors in the future. I like to keep one eye open for boxes that I think have that sort of "vibe", the ones that stick out; i.e. EH stuff, weird filters, genre-specific "flash-in-the-pans." Kinda cool but I couldn't find a use for it.

info+sound bites;