Lo-Fi recording tips.....please?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Jay Corwin, Sep 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks. Interesting, I thought the digital 8-tracks had internal preamps which I assumed would be sufficient. Have you tried sending a mic signal without the ART?

2. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    They do. I've tried it both ways. Audibly there isn't much difference. The ART just gives me a ton of gain, which I think you need with a 57 into a lo-fi setup like this. The LDC's can go straight in without issue.

3. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I received an MXL R144 ribbon mic for Christmas. This is the lo-fi recording thread after all. Yesterday I gave it a whirl with different locations, preamps, etc. just to start getting ideas on best placement and characteristics. So far it shows some promise - like it's splitting the difference between the LDC's and the '57. I get more detail than using the '57, but without picking up every bit of noise in the room that the LDC's get. It picks up the acoustic nuance much better.

I really do need a good preamp though. I have to get this thing almost as close as the '57 to get a good signal into the board. Running through the ART for additional gain yielded poor results. It introduced a lot of hiss into the signal. It doesn't do that with a '57. It's an el cheapo, so I wasn't expecting miracles.

There's still a lot of experimenting to be done before I can call it a win or loss though.

John Chambliss likes this.
  4. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I like the idea of cutting out the real low frequency bits.
    Back in the 80’s, it was common for producers/engineers to carry around Realistic Minumus 7 speakers, the idea being that most people don’t have huge studio reference monitors in their homes.
    With the current shift to small, powered speakers, it’s even more crucial to mix accordingly. Great thread BTW.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  5. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    To keep with the theme, I actually just use an old stereo receiver with all of the fancy switches turned off - driving a nice pair of bookshelf speakers. Leaving the EQ flat on the stereo, I'll just dial the low frequency down until I get a clean thump out the speakers when I'm using the mixdown feature on the tascam.

John Chambliss and Inky13 like this.
  6. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    To continue, I picked up one these: Cloud Lifter. I have to give a little credit to the dude at Sweetwater, because I was steering towards a mic preamp. After explaining to him what I was after, he recommended the Cloud Lifter (which was less $$$ than pretty much any usable mic pre).

I've only had a chance to play with it once, but it worked as advertised - dead quiet gain. Even with my cheap ribbon, I didn't get any static on the Tascam pre until I had the gain almost dimed. Life keeps getting in my way, but I'd like to run some dynamics through it to see what I get.

It's "built like a tank" as they say.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Yes - I use a Cloudlifter with an Electro Voice RE20 (a dynamic mic) and it gives a lot more headroom while still being extremely quiet. Great product.

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I recently got the Scarlett Focusrite solo to record bass tracks with at home for one of my bands. It is lo-fi and works great since I can send a mic and pick up signal at the same time for recording and have 2 tracks. What is also nice is that I can use it with Garage band and my Ipad. I either user a condenser mic or the ATM Pro 35 with the realist.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  9. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent set of cans that can handle double bass? I end up HPF'ing all of my mixes to listen to them through headphones. My only over the ear set is a cheap Behringer set.

Same thing I guess for monitoring. I have small speakers that I have to cut the bass down to hear double bass through without low level farting. Is this just part of dealing with the beast in recording scenarios?

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have used Sony 7506 phones both in the studio and st home for years and like them.

11. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    As a contrast, back in the 80s, several serious recording companies travelled with B&W 801 for location recording.

12. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I use noise canceling Boise headphones for both recording and low-fi mixes. Has worked pretty well so far.

13. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    AKG K270 headphones are what we used to use for high end sound quality testing. I kept a pair and they sound great to my ears.

14. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Look, I don't want to tell my grandmother how to suck eggs, but wouldn't you want a microphone with a pretty significant distance capability, set up several feet from your bass, if you actually wanted the recording to capture the sound of your actual bass? I don't know enough about microphone technology to say what type or brand/model that would be, but an audience hears your bass from many feet away, so I would think that's the sound you want to capture, not the sound of your bass from a few inches away.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021