lo-riders vs. fatbeams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by awa, Jul 22, 2004.

1. awa

Jul 18, 2004
    has anyone compared lo-riders and fatbeams? what are the differences in feel, sound, tightness, etc?
  2. Lo-Riders: Hex-core and stiff. Good bass and lo-middle and treble.
    Fat-beams: Round-core and more bendable than LR's but not as much as Hi-Beams. They have ok bass, lots of mids and ok treble. Of the two I prefer Fat-Beams because they can be more growly.
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I like the Low Riders, less zingy and more solid in the low end but still cuts very nicely.
  4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I like both strings, can't decide wich I like better though. On my Modulus Q5 right now I have the fat beams and like the way they sound and feel. They are closer to the low riders than any other DR string. The main difference to me is that they are not as stiff as lo riders, have a little more low mids and are kind of boomy. I think the lo riders have a very defined sound that is sharp and accurate, the only drawback for me is that I have skinny digits and the tension is an issue. Right now I am ready to put the Bootsy Collins strings on my Q5; I cant wait.
  5. I put the Low Riders on this morning. Here is how they compare.

Fat Beams tension is a slight bit lower. They have a round core and mild compression on the round windings. The E starts at .108 and is compressed to .105. This gives them a better feel than typical rounds but they have good round wound sound. Mids and highs are awesome. Lows are ok but lack the distinction of the Low Riders. If you want heavenly sounding mids and highs..this is your string.

Low Riders:Same compression but slightly higher tension than Fat Beams. Barely noticeable unless you do bends. They are easy on the fingers in my opinion, not at all like the stuff I read from others. The Low's are where this string excels. Deep, clear/distinct sounding (probably due to the Hexcore). So far, I like this string. I wish I had a Jazz Bass to put the Fatbeams on in addition to my Deluxe Zone bass with Low Riders. I can see uses for both strings. If these will just last decently as others state they do, I believe I will continue to use them. DR makes fine strings. These seem to cut through nicely. Can hear each deep low note and they are less growly than the Fatbeams. I think my string search is finally over
  6. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca

I use low-riders on my jazz bass, and it is pure thunder. They blow the doors off the blue steel's I was using.