Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lo-Riders vs. Hi-Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Hi. I'm due a string change soon, and normally I would go for my Lo-Riders, .45-.130, but I was reading some old BP articles and a lot of metal players use Hi-Beams. Ryan from Mudvayne even uses Hi-Beams tuned GCGCF, and they are supposed to be lower tension than the Lo-Riders. This won't matter, as the lowest they'll go for me is ADGCF(if one of my new bands goes with it, we might just end up BbEbAbDbGb)

So, my question is this: What are the differences between these two sets besides being roundcore vs. hexcore? I'll be looking at .45-.130.

Thanks,

PF

2. How he gets tension? Probably heavy gauge.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have used primarily Hi-Beams, and then I thought that I would try Lo-Riders. To my ears, the Hi-Beams actually seemed to have deeper, tighter lows. The Lo-Riders had more of a vintage vibe going on (at least in comparison to the Hi-Beams), and did not have as much high end (go figure). In the end, I went back to Hi-Beams - although now I am experimenting with Blue Steels again.

Tom.

4. hi beams man!

lo riders chewed up my fingers, even though they sounded nice.

5. i think of hi beams being a great string on a bass like a 70's fender jazz or a super jazz by sadowsky, lull, etc, to get that super thick, biting slap tone that's so popular. lo beams are a better all around string with a more comfortable tension for fingerstyle or pick playing. if you want extra sheen on top in a rock setting, try the lo rider steels. they're bright and powerful sounding.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I had Hi-beams on a few basses at the same time. They are nice and zingy. I tried a set of fat beams and liked them too. Next I tried the lo-riders but in nickel, woo hoo I found just what I was looking for on my mia passive jazz as well as my mia dlx jazz. Took away some of the sharpness, added more mids and depth. Me likey lo-riders alot. I also use blue steels in nickel on a couple of basses too.

7. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

I just went from Hi-Beams to Low-Riders SS this weekend on my 55-02 on a suggestion from RICKBASS <--- thanks dude. Cephas is right on the money in his discription.:bassist: