Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lo riders

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cat, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    I just got a set of low riders. They sound decent, but not great. Not as good as boomers when I first put them on. Also, the string gauge is so light (40-95) that they buzz, are hard to play, and don't sound very warm at all. I don't see why anyone here would like them.

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    sorry you didnt like 'em. i like D'Addario's, Ernie Ball's, and GHS's on my Ibanez. good luck
    Sam

3. I agree lo riders arn't the best string ever to come out i take it your talking about DR's. I like DR's High beams very bright yet wram sound thicker gauge 45-125 really nice I wouldn't use anything else. especially D'Adario I always break the E within about 3 weeks when I use horrible things.

4. I love all DR's and have never had a problem with them, I use both Low Riders and Hi-Beams.
    The sound might not impress you as much becuase of your guage, Lo-riders are really tight strings and sound better with a thicker guage.
    40-95 guage is TINY.
    Hi-beams are really bright and fairly good for almost anything, Lo-riders are great for funk stuff, especially slapping & popping.
    It's strange becuase I personally can't stand Boomers, they seem to die easily.

5. Cat

Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    I think the problem is the gauge. I'm used to the heaviest or second heaviest and these just sound whimpy. I dunno why the guy gave me these I told him mediums and these are like ultra lights. oh well $20 down the drain :(

Okay I have two questions. Will using a lower gauge string for a while change my bass's action or anything? Oh and what is the difference between the low riders and the high beams? Thanks.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Lo Riders are my favorite all around string, sorry you didn't like them I guess.

As far as not understanding why other people like them, all I can say is this: If you have to ask, you'll never know. :p

A heavier gauge might have been nice, at least medium. And yes, a heavier gauge can often require some slight adjustments to the bass itself.

As far as the difference between Lo Riders and Hi Beams, here's a little summary:

Lo Riders - *deep* low end, emphasis from low to lower midrange frequencies, great treble response but not overly bright, hex core, higher tension

Hi Beams - sparkling highs, emphasis from upper midrange to high frequencies, nice 'singing' characteristics, round core, more flexible

7. me too... :D

8. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I've tried Hi-Beams and Lo-Riders and prefer Lo-Riders. Very deep bass with a brilliant top end....kinda reminds me of a good set of Rotosound Swing Bass 66. Cat, try a heavier gauge next time and you will probably have better results.

9. Lo Riders ARE groundwounds, correct?!?!?!

10. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Lo-Riders are stainless steel roundwounds.

11. CRAP

What are the DR groundwounds called?!

I'm playing bass in a show choir at school, and they're ordering me a new set of strings, and I told them DR Lo Riders. I thought lo-riders were the groundwounds!

12. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    DR does not make a groundwound bass string.