Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lo to all. Bass question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocker, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Rocker

Rocker

Sep 14, 2003
    Lo all.
    I just signed up to this forum, so this is all new to me :). I'm currently looking to buy a new bass. At the moment i have an ARIA 4 string. I'm looking to buy a 5 string, i'm not sure what make to get yet. I tend to play hard and slap alot (koRn style). Could anyone give me some ideas of what bass would be best for my sort of playing? I'd like a 5 string because of the lower notes.

Thanks alot

Rocker

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    hey, if you tell us your price range then we will be able to talk to you in more detail about basses ranging from $100 to $30,000!

Just a first comment if you like KoRn the Ibanez Fieldy K5 Sig is an excellent bass in its own right.

Secondly if your moving from 4 to 5 strings your probably going to need to consider a new amp too, and that can really take that low b and keep the punch of slap style

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think you pretty much just sold urself the new bass right there. Korn? 5 string? Definitely get the Ibanez K5. Ive played it and its a great bass, especialy as a first 5 string, i just hate Fieldy so i never considered buying it.

4. Rocker

Rocker

Sep 14, 2003
    ok thanx alot. I'm looking to spend at most £500 (english pounds). How much is the ibanez K5? and are there any links so i could have a look please? I am planning to buy a new amp too, just looking around at the moment :)

thank alot

Rocker

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. I was guessing around the same thing. Maybe 800$, which is 400 or so pounds. Ibanez probably has a bunch of dealers in your area so it shouldn't be too hard to find one or possibly order yourself one.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    £500 is a good price here in england. see if you can get a warwick 5 string second hand, or even the rockbass version of the crovette SE with 5 strings. but tbh for what you want the K% is probably going to be best.

goto www.ibanez.com then bass then K5 :D

[​IMG]

8. Rocker

Rocker

Sep 14, 2003
    Sorry for the late reply. Thanx for all your comments, i am just currently looking around trying out different basses. I'd like to try the ibanez R5, haven't come across one yet. I have seen an amp i really like, about £300, cant remember the make or anything because i was only on it for a few minutes and i was just looking for bass guitars at the time. How much would i need to spend to get a decent amp for a 5 string bass?

thanx alot everyone

Rocker

9. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
  10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Presumably you're somewhere in the UK. Where are you near? Other British TB members (or those who've visited these shores) might be able to suggest some good shops to check out, but there's no point me talking about London if you're stuck in deepest Cornwall ;)

Wulf

11. Rocker

Rocker

Sep 14, 2003
    cheers all :)
    I live in Hastings (south east), its about 2 hours away from London. Theres only 1 good music shop down here called B&T Music. They do some nice basses, this is where i saw that amp for about £280.

thanx again for all the help

Rocker

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    you have to go and play ALL the basses they have, they wont mind ;)

play everything from the cheapest to the most expensive and decide what you like most and like least about each of them, then find the one in your price range that has the most likes and the least dislikes.

also, on the K5:

if they dont have a K5 find out where
    nearby does.. and travel, you might like it. it seems to be close to what you want

13. Rocker

Rocker

Sep 14, 2003
    cheers for all the help :)
    Might be a while before i get a new bass, i know quite a few shops out of town so i'll be playin loads, hopefully i'll come across the K5 :D

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
  15. we all have our own opinions...chill it.