Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Loads of Steve Lawson gigs in England (and one in Scotland)

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Finally, after years of doing lots of playing in France and USA, and only the occasional gig in London, I'm on a bit of a UK gig frenzy between now and the end of the year, including some dates with Michael Manring, and David Friesen, which would be unmissable even if I wasn't on the bill! :oops:)

anyway, here's all the dates - hope you can make it to some of them, tell your friends, bring your parents whatever...

all the proper details about each gig are on my site - www.steve-lawson.co.uk

cheers

Steve

August -

23-26th, Greenbelt Festival, Cheltenham

September 2002

7th - Red Rose Club, Finsbury Park, London

on tour supporting
    21st Century Schizoid Band

15th - The Stables, Wavendon - 01908 280800
    19th - Robin 2, Wolverhampton - 01384 637747
    20th - Cambridge Corn Exchange - 01223 357851
    21st - Newcastle Opera House - 0191 232 0899
    22nd - Liquid Room, Edinburgh - 0131 226 7010
    25th - Fairfield Halls, Croydon - 020 8688 9291

At the London Guitar Festival
    17th Sept - Bolivar Hall, Grafton Way, London W1
    (supporting Antonio Forcione) - 07855 775594

On tour with US solo bass legends
    Michael Manring and
    David Friesen!

November (sorry, should have put this in first time!!)

5th - Ocean 2, Hackney - 020 7314 2800
    6th - South Street Arts Centre, Reading
    7th - Clinic at the Bass Centre, Wapping (Steve and Michael only)
    8th TBC.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Bump

Any 3 Counties based Tbers may be interested in one of these. Anyone too shy to go alone PM me and we may or may not work something out.

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Hey Steve,
    You have been busy, way cool!!!

I shall be there for the Reading gig... with as many friends as I can gather.
    I must say I'm deeply impressed, I don't often get to see three awesome bass players in my home town!!!

Hey CS, I'd be up for meeting up for one of the London gigs if you like? How about the Bass Centre workshop in Wapping?

(I dont know where '3 counties' refers too! :rolleyes: )

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Howard

Bass Centre is a definite maybe.

3 Counties refers to Beds Bucks and Herts.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Goodo... I'll pencil the 7th into my diary and we can decide nearer the time.

I'll probably go anyway, but it'd be good to meet up. I vunder if wulf would be up for it also... or any other TBers in the South East for that matter?

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

HMmm.....I've never been to a "clinic"! ;)

But this does sound like a good one - there's not much space in the Bass Centre though, could be a squeeze!

I might well be up for this!

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I went to a clinic last year when I had a trouble with my G string... Take my mother-in-law, please.. no seriously, please take her, etc, etc...

The last TB outing never even got off the ground, this time we should make an effort.

Space at the bass centre... there's that acoustuc guitar room out the back that's pretty spacious?

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If they set fire to all the guitars!:)

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ...and we can roast a sacrificial lamb over the smouldering embers! BWA-HA-HAAAA! :mad:

Actually, some of those filthy basses they have in there migt be good for firewood too! :eek:

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Howard said: I'll probably go anyway, but it'd be good to meet up. I vunder if wulf would be up for it also... or any other TBers in the South East for that matter?

I've been in touch with a bass playing friend from Sidcup, who was going to ring the Bass Centre and reserve a couple of places for us. It might be worth everyone else who's going up doing that as well.

I'm definitely up for meeting some of you guys face to face - any takers for a post clinic curry (and any ideas of suitable curry houses in the area?). Knowing Steve, I don't think it would be too hard to twist his arm into joining us (I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting Michael, but would love to share a meal with him as well).

Wulf

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
  12. No.... No. NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Don't make me go near a bass shop... not in my current state of mind!!! Have you no sensitivity?!!?!
    :p :D

I'm very tempted to come along. I'll need to see what develops in the near future... ;)

Cheers,
    Mike

13. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'd certainly be up for a curry or something afterwards, depending on what other arrangements are made that are out of my hands (BC staff have a habit of booking food at local Pizza place etc...) - but we'll get plenty of time to hang and chat.

Certainly worth coming to the Ocean show in Hackney the night before - then you'll come to the clinic armed with all those questions about how on earth Michael does what he does... :oops:)

ooh, it's all going to be so much fun! :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk - gig-date-frenzy here!

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    7 November. Wish it was sooner, but it's not really that far away.

Wulf

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    7th Nov, OK. I didnt see the word 'November' until now!

I'll stick to familiar and 'friendly' Reading I think! Hackney is maximus tubeum from Paddington.

Good weekend all, I'm off home.

16. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I rang Bass Centre at 5pm and they said that they dont know the price yet or have tickets so ring in a couple of weeks. Can anyone else subtantiate that or did they want to go home?

17. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The information probably hasn't filtered through from the back office to the shop floor yet... :oops:)

cheers

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

18. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    Damn, you're playing in Edinburgh. Why could'nt have done what everybody else does and play in Glasgow, then i could go.

19. Cool, been waiting for a while for you to do some UK gigs, maybe i'll give bass centre a call and get them to put a ticket in with my cab (when they decide to send it :mad: )
    I'm goin to uni in high wycombe sometime in october though, dunno when :p so are any dates near there?

*Si*

p.s.
    Steve might as well get this done in an existing thread, do you kno if richard bona has or is planning any dates in the UK?

cheers

20. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Si,

no idea about Richard Bona - I think he's still on tour with Pat Metheny..

High Wycombe? Not far at all from Reading, though by public transport it may still be easier to get into London for the Ocean gig...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk