Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Local Bassist

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Jebis, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Hey Mike, I've been looking for a good bass teacher in the south bay for some time now(I live in Lomita, right on the border of Harbor City, up the street from the projects). The last lesson lesson I took was from some guy over in Manhattan, who looked like he picked a bass maybe twice a week(if that) just to teach. I left disappointed; he really didn't look like a dedicated player. I was wonder if you taught bass, or if you didn't, maybe you could point me in the direction of a good teacher.

Thanks.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi jebis,

lomita is right near pedro, where I live! howdy neighbor! anyway, I've never taught bass really and don't know of any teachers. I wish I had more time cuz I'd like to hand down stuff I've gathered up over the years and like buddha said, "to really know something, teach it." that way you, yourself can always keep learning. in this life, you gotta keep your mind always open. even someone brand new on the low machine may show you something - even about yourself. a way to keep yourself humble and not be an "authority" but the realization that you're just another perspective, continually capable of change and hopefully curious and creative. everyone's got something to teach and learn from everyone else.

check out that james jamerson playing on those old motown records.

on bass, watt