1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Local football star sentenced...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Just saw that a local kid who planned an armed robbery of a Smoothie King, provided the gun (a toy) and drove the getaway car was just sentenced... to 10 days in jail. He was convicted on a misdemeanor. He was fingered by one of his cohorts and still allow to plead it down to a misdemeanor. I don't get that.

He hadsince enrolled in another school and allowed to play.

Afterwards my wife said "Well, they're kids...". I asked if the person being held at gunpoint was her or her mother, would she feel the same way. No answer. She asked if I'd ever done anything dumb when I was a kid. :eyebrow:

My position is this... if this were my son who did something this stupendously idiotic I'd expect the book to be thrown at him. I wouldn't like it but I know my son isn't mentally ill or retarded so he has no excuse. Apparently neither was this football star. He thought it would be fun.

Now his family is worried about him being assaulted while spending his week and a half in jail:rolleyes:

2. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Now I thought attempted robbery garnered more than ten days in jail. Shouldn't it have been 2 to 5 years?

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Give him the CHAIR! Use the TAZER!

Seriously though, fake gun or not I'm sure it was real enough for whoever was working the burger joint that night. Special treatment in sports starts younger and younger these days, ridiculous. :rolleyes:

4. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Maybe all he had to do was cry and say "I sowwy." to the people he attempted to rob. Then his mother bakes cookies and everything is hunkey-dory.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    After his friend told on him, after he was arrested, he was offered a plea agreement. I don't get it either.

Actually, I guess I do... they don't want to ruin "his" life with a felony conviction for committing a felony:rolleyes:

Apparently they committed the robbery because they could. This kid was set with several college offers and lives in the most affluent county in the state in one of the most affluent cities.

6. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Them cookies and that "I sowwy" must have been some good stuff.

Maybe I should try it myself, even though I am in no real need of money.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    That was my point with my wife. Would you want the person responsible for robbing you at gunpoint to get a break?

Me? Bye. See how funny it is behind bars.

This is just another example of how arbritrary our laws are. Nice slant as usual.

8. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I'm familiar with this story, but had not heard the outcome. I can argue myself in circles on this. I have a son the same age.

Q. To allow him to play football or not?
    A1. No. Football is a privilege.
    A2. Yes. This player is a good enough player to earn a scholarship to a good college, which could be the impetus to turn his life around.

Q. Misdemeanor or Felony?
    A1. Felony. Robbery with a fake gun is still that. Try them as adults.
    A2. Misdemeanor. Plead down to a misdemeanor and hope lessons are learned (no priors). Give juveniles a chance to re-prove they can be contributing members of society.

I really can go either way.

Here's the kicker: Would the same situation within the District of Columbia be adjudicated the same way? With different ethnicities involved? Somehow I think not. Nor in neighboring Prince Georges County.

I do think it would have been the same on my side of the river.

Sad I even think that way. :(

9. Neb Maro

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    You raise some good points jkritchey.
    Perhaps it's not right to be so judgemental.
    I could see how not having any priors might help him out.
    It was still a dumb@#$ thing for him to do and I'm curious to know if his buds got the same deal as him.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Without his "football star" label, he would have gotten a much longer sentence.

The lesson he will learn from this: I'm a football player and a big man. I can get away with just about anything.

I'd bet money he reoffends within 5 years. If he goes pro, then he'll never have to worry about a conviction again......

:rolleyes:

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And that is at the root of my POV. And I agree... the same thing would've happened in Northern Va. That's why I don't go either way on this. If you change nothing but the class and race of the defendant and the outcome changes...

:meh:

I have no doubt that if I had done that at that age I'd get more than 10 days in jail... and I was a high school athlete with excellent grades. I would've been another athlete gone bad... see ya. No doubt whatsoever.

These kids know that even if they threaten to kill someone, because of who they are, what they do and who they know, a slap on the wrist is likely. This sentence was a slap considering the crime IMO. Again, if my son did this he'd have no excuse. Neither did this kid.

12. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Brad may have more details, but I recall they were all fingering each other, and the prosecutors decide to focus on the "leader" and the dude who had the gun. This guy was one of those 2, I thought.

13. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Here's kind of where I come down on this, knowing that I can be a softie:

This kid had a chance to get into some pretty decent colleges, where he would be looked after by Athletic Dept. Guidance counselors and make something of himself. (BTW, A LOT of NCAA Football programs graduate a higher percentage of athletes than the normal student body)

The alternative is the never ending penal system. I hate to give up on someone who's only 17. I know of bunch of kids that age, and some are real knuckleheads, although mostly harmless.

I have no idea if this dope is college material or not, of if he was in a position to academically qualify. But I don't think he was in a "last chance" kind of position in life.

I think that the best chance for turning this kid into a productive member of society was to go the way they did. Not that it was fair, or that he isn't an idiot and a felon.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    AFAIK his name didn't come up until one of the trials of one of the other kids involved. He didn't come forward, he was fingered. He was offered a plea agreement, why I don't know. It would seem pleaing something like this down is the easy way out and I doubt it's offered to "everyone".

He admitted planning it. IMO that makes him the leader... unless he was planning it for the leader.

Some kids go to jail while some get off... it's a longstanding undeniable pattern.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I might be a softie on this if it weren't for the inequities of the system.

He was headed to college. He didn't need the money. They just thought it would be fun to do an armed robbery. That kind of decision at 17 has put many, many people in prison for far longer than 10 days.

I guess my point is that, per usual, he got off light. Here's how close to home this hit for me...

my nephew and a couple of friends in Florida thought it would be "fun" to do a home invasion... so they did and got caught. A home invasion involves breaking into a house with the intent to rob when you know someone is at home. He got six years in prison. First offense. And I agreed. He came from a good home, certainly knew better and had absolutely no reason to be involved. The difference being Florida looked at a felony as a felony, here it was "boys will be boys". Don't want to ruin the perp's life.

Either do it for everyone or don't do it.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    True.

17. Yeah, nothing teaches a lesson like a weak sentence

I'd vote for the harshest possible penalty. Going easy on him sends a message to athletes that they can do whatever they want.

18. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I could make the argument that athletics provides a structure that makes it less likely for him to do it again.

My kid does 2 HS sports, plus year around club soccer. He's got no time to get in trouble.

That's a little different than sending someone home, knowing he'll be running the streets everyday at 3:00 when school gets out. Most HS athletes don't get home until 7:00.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    According to one of the other "Whitman 5" defendants' defense team (yes, team), there was no threat, the gun was just a prop.

The person you point it at usually knows this:rolleyes:

This was supposed to be an inside job but when they arrived it was clear the wrong employee was there.

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And the opposite could easily be argued... that (some) good athletes can get away with all sorts of stuff. That's hardly news.

BTW they planned the robbery at school that day:D