1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Local music shop?!?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jimstyx, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I just found a local music store to call home today
    Hanson pro music port huron michigan.
    I walked in and the normal 4 bass' bass section was not there! Instead it was a ROOM a g'ding room! Plus the owner had picture is him with a bunch of famous bassists including carol Kaye and victor Wooten
    So I knew I was home!
    I'm wondering how did you find your local mom and pop home shop? Any good stories you'd like to share?
    Let tb know that mom and pops still exist give your shop a shout out!

hrodbert696 and RobTheRiot like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Peter Guthrie, JRA and Jimstyx like this.
  3. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Blues Angel Music in Pensacola, Florida. Been friends with the owner since he opened. He's a former Navy pilot and Top Gun instructor (ties to the name of the shop, and the Navy's flight demonstration team is based in Pensacola) who opened a tiny music store when he retired from the service many years ago. It's grown a lot over the years due to the commitment to the customer. Great guy, great shop. Check 'em out.

fhm555 and Jimstyx like this.
  4. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    BassCliff likes this.
  5. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Found this a few months ago on a trip to San Diego. Didn’t even know he was there in Point Loma. upload_2018-8-14_20-11-28.jpeg

Hundreds of guitars, and more basses than I could look at. Mike’s Guitar Exchange.

6. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Here's my local M&P music store: Archie's Guitars - Dallas Guitar Store Archie's Guitars! Nice neighborhood shop, and surprisingly their prices on gear are pretty good. They've been open just over a year, not bad when you consider there's 3 GCs within a ten mile drive of this location.

A little further down the road (and out my price range, generally) is: Tone Shop Guitars - DFW's newest full-service guitar and gear shop

They have also been open for only a year or so, are larger than Archies and have more vintage and high-end stuff. They have an INSANE selection of effects pedals. They're a G&L dealer. If you're visiting the Dallas area, this place is worth a visit.

BassCliff and Jimstyx like this.
  7. I'm not a fan and really don't like going there too often, but I would be remiss if I didn't shout out to the House of Guitars in Rochester, NY.
    http://houseofguitars.com/

murph7489, BassCliff and Jimstyx like this.
  8. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Nothing really great in the grand Rapids michigan area. Shops have crappy inventory. If i want someone to work on my stuff I've found the best guys in the area work out of their homes.

Jimstyx likes this.
  9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I was in a band with the owner back in 1969... He opened his own music store and started to collect classic guitars, amps etc.. This is it today.
    The Music Museum, Pitman NJ

music.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  10. Jimstyx

Jimstyx

Jun 27, 2018
    I lived in Kalamazoo area for a while even in that area it was hard to find a place to go brother in sorry here that! Closest I found was in Benton harbor mi

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The local shops are pretty much gone where I am. For most of them my feelings are “good riddance.” But there were a few genuine pro shops like G Guitars in New Haven CT and Select Guitar in Norwalk CT I really miss.

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    They are on Facebook and i’m not but here’s a look at one of our local shops that is really cool. Tons of old Fender guitars basses, and amps, LP’s for days and i could go on and on.

A Place Full of Characters: Highland Music – the Local

Also on Facebook, Homewood Musical Instrument Company is another local treasure. Among many other instruments, owner Bob Tedrow repairs and builds concertinas. Tedrow and his sidekick Jason Burns are world class builders and repairmen. They’ve recently moved from the location where this article was written, but they are just up the road and still as good as ever at what they do.

Bob Tedrow: Maestro of ‘Antique Noise’

Jimstyx likes this.
  13. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Jimstyx likes this.
  14. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    TolerancEJ, ak56 and Jimstyx like this.
  15. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    The local M&P shop here is Bananas At Large. Pretty sure I found them in the Yellow Pages. In the 21 years living here, I may have been in a half dozen times - I don't hang in music stores.

Jimstyx likes this.
  16. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Replay Guitar Exchange, Tampa- Bass Guitar and Equipment Room: 20180818_201615.jpg

Bass Central- Orlando:
    bass central - Google Search

Sean at Replay, and Grasshopper at Bass Central are both very knowledgeable and easy to work with.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    TolerancEJ and Jimstyx like this.
  17. The older music stores in Montgomery,Al rely on band instruments, one has a few Yamaha pieces the othe Peavy. Newer shops GC and Bailey Brothers have best selection..

Jimstyx likes this.
  18. not a fan either....but....I've been there a lot...mostly when I was young and just wanted to look at a guitar like Jimmy Page played...lol...one thing about that place is they have all those guitars stacked in that case so close together....never liked that, haven't been there since the late 80s though...

19. I used to visit Bass Northwest occasionally. I haven't visited The Bass Shop yet but I look through their website occasionally.

20. In Vancouver BC, we have Long & McQuade but it's part of a national chain, not a Mom & Pop shop. The last times I visited, they had FBass, Dingwall & Sadowsky hanging on the wall so that's nice.

My preferred music shop isn't local. I have bought 2 FBasses (BN6 & VF6-PJ Fretless) and a Fodera Emperor Standard 6 through UltimateBasses.ca based in Guelph, Ontario. "The Chancellor" Dave has been very cool to work with, through each of my purchases.

My wife is still cooling off regarding my purchases this year, but I will return again. Ultimate Basses is also a dealer for Spector, Ken Smith, MTD, and do I dare to complete my FBass trifecta with an AC6? Who knows? Time may tell.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020