1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Local pawn shop sells instruments with partially obliterated serial numbers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xk49w, Apr 3, 2013.

1. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    This shop sells factory 2nd and refurbished instruments that come directly "...from the refurbishing center from the manufacturer." They have either "USED" or "2ND" impressed on the back of the headstock. Also, "To prevent unauthorized warrantee claims on the new, used, Factory 2nd, refurbished guitars, our refurbishing center will partially remove the original serial number from the instrument."

I can't see the need for obliterating any part of the serial number since the factory did the refurb. Seems like an easy way to legitimize stolen instruments.

Is this normal procedure for refurbs and 2nds?

2. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Apr 30, 2012
    Albuquerque
    Hmm.. seems pretty dodgy to me. I read an ebay item that had the same description.

3. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Run like the wind. The manufacturer knows full well (by the serial number) what units were seconded. IMO this is a very thinly veiled fence for stolen instruments.

4. Hi.

First that I've heard of :confused:.

On the Gibby 2nd's I have or have had, the serial number has been just as it's on the instruments that have passed their very sloppy QC ;).

Clearly defective ones have been "normals" and very good ones 2nd's.

Even though You probably left the said manufacturer out on purpose, I am sure that I'm not the only one who's at least a bit curious.

Regards
    Sam

5. AaronMB

AaronMB

Aug 17, 2012
    Central Oregon
    This is a local pawnshop? I wonder how many fellow bassists had their gear jacked and sold here...

I'd call the cops and see what they have to say.

6. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Not a manufacturer - a local pawn shop that sells refurbs and 2nds that way. List several manufactuters.

7. Hi.

:).

Inform the police.

Or the manufacturers in question.

Both parties probably want to know what's going on.
    As will the possible rightful owers of those instruments.

And I'm not kidding either, I have zero tolerance for thieves.
    I've lost too many valuable (to me anyway) items that way.

Regards
    Sam

8. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    This just smells bad however I look at it. I've seen this on eBay too. Just doesn't seem right.

9. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    It isn't an isolated fence scheme, what they told you is true. There are sellers on Ebay who sell this stuff all the time. I bought these instruments from a distributor in Tn. for resale myself at one time. I have a Peavey Millennium 5 that has the partial sn and 2nd stamp. I bought it on Ebay. It needed a part, and when Peavey asked me the sn, I told them exactly what is described above. They sent me the part. Nothing to get shook over. It's no more illegal or dishonest than outlets that sell reconditioned power tools or shoes or whatever. They are disclosing the actual condition of the merchandise and you can get a good buy on blemmed items.If you don't like the idea, just don't buy the instrument :D

E.G. lotsa that stuff here: http://stores.ebay.com/Riceage-Music-and-More?_rdc=1
    Distributor: http://www.mircweb.com/