Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Local Police Hit & Run

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Apr 14, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just heard on the news that a police man was plowed down in a city in my state by a 17 year old illegal immigrant girl who came over the border in Texas 10 days ago and didn't have a license (obviously).

Does this make anyone else mad or is just me? Even if this girl was a citizen, I'd still be mad, but the fact that she's not even here legally doesn't help. It sure makes me wonder where she even got the car.

Right now she's being detained so she doesn't flee the country...

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Plowed down on purpose? If so, that is upsetting no matter what country this person calls home.

If it was an accident, that is sad. I'm not going to let the fact that she is not a legal US citizen make me more angry or sad.

-Mike

3. That is pretty irritating. I understand that they wanna get into this country, but they need to do it through the proper channels. I'm in the DFW area and it seems like the main dialect around here is spanish. They were trying to make my wife go to spanish classes so that she could set up accounts for people who don't speak english. I'm not trying to gripe, but if I went to their country, they would expect me to learn their language. Why should we have to conform to make them happy?? They wanna come here, they need to learn the language and obey our laws. :spit:

Sorry for the rant, back on the topic at hand, that is sad about the police officer. I'll be praying for his family.

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Something similar happened to a friend of mine. He came into some money and bought a new BMW, had it shipped from Germany as they don't sell it here. He had it for about a week before an illegal alien ran a red light and plowed into him, wrecking the car. The police said because the driver had no license or insurance that he couldn't get the money from them to fix the car. And his insurance company said something along the lines of having to get the money from the other driver, which is obviously impossible. So he just had to deal with it. It was pretty messed up.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

True, illegal or not that part doesn’t matter to me as well... but if she had no license does make me pissed off even if it was accident... you don’t know how to drive don’t get behind a freaking wheel... I’d run her over myself in either case... I mean car can kill… you wouldn’t say: “aawww she didn’t know how to use a gun when she shot someone “by accident” and ran away… awww” I don’t see the deferent’s

Also she RAN... makes me even more pissed off because you know what... I don’t know this case but in a lot of person didn’t run they could have saved a life they destroyed.

Cheers

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Refinedbass,

Welcome to the 21st century. Man, I live in San Francisco. When I get on Muni it's not uncommon to hear 4 or 5 different Asian languages being spoken, 4 or 5 different European languages being spoken, people using ASL, guide dogs all around ...

I say embrace the diversity. It's one of the things that makes this country great. Don't forget, in the 19th and even 20th century, there were areas of this country where over a dozen European languages or dialects were spoken. I think it's unfortunate that Americans aren't pressed to learn more languages when they're young. It's a global economy, a global civilization now. The sooner we embrace that, the better off we'll be.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I for one have no problem embracing other people *WHO'S UP FOR A HUG???* but when the people refuse to atleast try and learn our language (like we'd have to do if we moved to another country) and earn their own money honestly, that's what I have a problem with.

In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the immigrants came here and WANTED to be US citizens and did all they could to raise a family and make it in this country with no ones help. Now its the complete opposite, even with people who ARE citizens. Its almost like its perfectly ok to be lazy and sponge off someone else.

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Go to Europe and see how much of a foreign language you need to speak. Once they find you're an American, they'll hold a perfect conversation with you in English (if they want to). Scratch that, look under the location heading in user's posts on TB and see how other non-English-speaking individuals grasp of our language is! They learn English because it is profitable in some form for them. Just like it may be profitable for a southwesterner to learn Spanish.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Very true, but when you go to a store, or section of your town and have to deal with some other public servant, you should be able to expect that they will speak the language of your country. It's like if a frenchmen went to a store in france and the clerk only spoke english.

Just like if it gets to that point, that we may have to learn a bit of spanish, they should have to learn english too.

10. It's even worse here further down south where I am. Some areas I just don't bother going to anymore because English is rarely used.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Actually a lot people came to US because for same reasons... live in old land sucked so why not come here... and 19th... well some even came because they were forced out... nothing changed at all... reason why US cut back immigration in teens and 30s and didn’t let Jews in even it was their lives on line (Germany ww2) was for same exact reason you speak of now... exactly the same...

I somewhat agree with you that people should respect country that welcomes them in like this but you cant expect too much. My parents love this country... but they simply too old to speak good English... its very hard for them... they try... they can explain themselves but its same thing you are talking about...

Its hard for older people to learn the language... and well some still do love this place...

Cheers

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oh no I don't expect people to come here and become "Joe American". I'm mainly talking about the people who don't even make an effort. As long as you put in the effort, I'm all for it.

Where I work, I get the ocassional person who calls and gets mad at me because I don't speak Spanish and they don't speak a WORD of English...except the swears...they know the swears :)

13. I think we should All start speaking Zonk. That way everyone speaks the same language no matter where you go!

Zonk zonk zonker wteet zonk thhhumpff!

14. I try to avoid Wal-Mart for that reason ;)

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

True... i agree with that... just a lot of people a lot of times sound like they are not trying... but they are...

I think we are getting somewhat off topic here:) but yeah... people who cant drive but do anyways is not good:) doesnt matter where you from...

Cheers

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    a good friend of mine from when i was in the Navy joined the police force after he got out of the military in San Diego. he was shot and killed during a traffic stop by an illegal who had been deported three times already. my friend was a newly wed with a 3 month old child. my friend was able to get a shot off before he died that mortally wounded the guy. small justice in my mind, as this guy was a gang member.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I can really feel the love in this thread......not!!

-Mike

18. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My neighborhood is gradually converting over to spanish-speaking population base. It is a bit odd- everytime a white or black family moves out it seems latin family fills in, I'm guessing because I live in a low-priced housing are of town. I really don't know what the english speaking or legal percentage is, but it seems to be rather low from my personal interaction history and work, stores, etc. One of the guys I work with has been here 10 years and only knows a handful of words in english- he rarely asks what anything is or makes any attempt to learn, but he works hard at least. He doesn't have a US license, and just recently got insurance because of multiple acidents where he got in a lot of trouble but still is allowed to drive... I was hit by spanish-only speaker driver with expired insurance a few years ago, and just last week my dad t-boned by an illegal with no license, insurance, and couldn't speak english. He tried to run but got stuck in the snow.
    What I have noticed lately is "paper" insurance companies popping up that are largely run by immigrants, and most of the policy holders are immigrants. Basically, they provide the the legal insurance papers at the bare minimum legal coverage liability, but when anyone tries to get a pay-out, they go bankrupt or evade claims, change their legal identity and start up the operation again. Things must be really lousy bad in central america for so much pressure to be building up in the latin communities. it is a troubling issue.
    i don't call them names, treat them bad, anything like that, but it is frustrating that shopping at some of the local stores is almost impossible now because most of the employees don't know english as a result of the company catering to the changing demographic. i don't really like it when the kids in the neighborhood call me and my brothers dirty gringos, crackers, and various explatives, then run away if you take one step in their direction, and come back wiht a bunch of their kid friends with pipes and rocks. these kids are not just coming up with these attitudes on their own...

19. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    ...disturbing. And you know what? I'm getting sick of being labeled a "racist" when I defend my position about shutting up the US/Mexico border and tightening security checks/ deporting and etc. If I lived by Canada I might be concerned with THAT border - but then again, most of the illegals in Washington and the like are from Mexico.

Hospitals are shutting down in SoCal because they can't afford to keep treating illegals that don't pay, roads are clogged with traffic, companies are cheating american workers by using illegals for day labor and the like, illegal criminals are living in OUR prisons on OUR coin, and it's just getting absurd. Al Quaida or whoever else could run the border, heck we're even providing water for 'em! In fact, in southern Arizona you can be held LEGALLY RESPONSIBLE if an illegal dies on YOUR PROPERTY of dehydration and you didn't have an "accessible" water spigot outside your house.

- with that said, although I think we should lock down the borders, we should drastically increase our quota of legal immigration from mexico and south america. America should be a possibility for all hard-working and decent people.