1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Local Seller Rant...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    A guy on my local craigslist has a nice amp for sale at the same price he's also got it listed for on reverb. I made him a reasonable offer, accounting for the fact that he'll instantly lose 6% of not just his sale price, but the total price shipped if it sells on reverb. He's also got the "accept offers" option open on reverb. His response was - 'Price is firm. I can just keep it.'

I know how much of a pain it is to pack & ship an amp when selling via reverb - I've done it twice. Factor in the added labor, cost, transportation risk, seller fees, and possibility of having a shady buyer try to screw you, and it seems like a no-brainer to sell locally for cash. I'm not sure I can communicate it better than I did, but I also can't fix stupid. So...we'll see if he responds to my clear presentation of the numbers.

/end rant

2. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Some people see everything in win/lose terms. He might see making the buyer pay his price a win and anything else a loss, even if he nets less $. Not much you can do about it.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Keep safe my TB brethren!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Seems like that's the flaw in his logic.

4. Grahams Groove

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I know there's nothing I can do beyond the last email explaining my logic. Just venting and sharing my frustration as I apparently try to kick water uphill...

5. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I get it. Sometimes you just gotta vent about a seller’s logic.

DJ Bebop and Bassdirty like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Let it out man. We're here for you. Dude's dumb. :D

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Keep safe my TB brethren!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    younkint, kobass, FilterFunk and 18 others like this.
  8. Grahams Groove

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I may buy and sell a lot of gear on TB, but I’m ultimately here for the moral support.

I also heard something about good bass players being great listeners? Not sure - wasn’t really paying attention...

9. WillyWonka

WillyWonka

Dec 10, 2019
    I would buy it and make him ship it to you.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Stumbo and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I tried to work out a deal with a seller on an amp head and the guy said he didn’t want to “deal with” the hassle of shipping, so I would have to wait three weeks before he was going to get around to boxing it up. Hard pass. What kind of salesmanship is that?

I asked him to please reiterate his terms to make sure I understood him correctly and he sent me a weirdly aggressive message back. What are you gonna do?

DJ Bebop and SirMjac28 like this.
  12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    A few weeks back I was making some overtures for a broken amp on one of the online sales hub type places. The sellers initial price was basically the market rate for a working amp. I pointed this out and offered what I though was fair price for the amp as is, having restored a number of them and knowing the relative cost to get one up and running assuming no major component failures.

Given the risks with an amp that was “smoking then stopped working” I wouldn’t go over a certain amount. He wouldn’t come down. Fair enough. Amp is still listed. He’s dropped his price a few times since but hasn’t quite come down to reality. Seems like the kind of person who wouldn’t accept any offer I made out of spite at this point so I’m assuming the amp isn’t in my future.

13. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    This x 1000. Then, when he sees how close you are and tries to arrange a meet-up, tell him you're not comfortable with that given the coronavirus threat.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    barrenelly, younkint, McTred and 57 others like this.
  14. You’re just letting him know how bad you want the amp, if you ask me. I would say fine and walk away. When he hasn’t sold it in 2 weeks he’ll come around.

McTred, Templar, getrhythm and 4 others like this.
  15. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    :laugh: My nomination for post of the week!

16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

This reminds me of something George Carlin said: "Consider how low the average intelligence level is among humans, and then realize that half of the world's population is dumber than that!"

Either the seller is not using his brain, or he *IS* using his brain but his brain is an "economy model."

Oh, and btw @Grahams Groove, rants are always welcome on TB! :thumbsup:

17. Ryno1330

Ryno1330

Jan 14, 2020
    You guys are my heros. OP - please do this and report back.

18. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    When I sense illogical behavior from a seller or buyer it gets factored into the equation.
    Do I really want to buy a used amp from a person like this? Sure, some models are indestructible and some deals are too good to pass-up but...

19. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Is his asking price reasonable as it is? Ignore the fact that it is posted on reverb. A bonus for you is that you can try it locally before purchase without the possibility of having to ship back a piece of junk.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  20. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Hearing your side only, I don’t like his attitude. However, who knows what’s going on with the seller...

DJ Bebop and BluesWalker like this.