1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Local to Regional: Making the Jump (advice needed)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SnoMan, Sep 25, 2008.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hey guys,

I'm taking steps to push my band from being a local act to a regional one. Basically, anywhere within an 8 hour drive is what I'm focusing on and considering fair game right now.

So far, I've began a database of key cities, listing venues which would be favorable to our style(metal) and began taking steps to build relationships with bands and promoters from these areas.

I'm working on our press kit currently. Our new demo is in post production and I'm making arrangements for having a professional photographer take our promo shots. I'm also squaring away our bio and press credentials.

First, a couple of questions:

Who needs our presskit?

I'd love to send one to everybody, but they aren't free, so who should I hold off on sending one to until later? So far I'm planning on sending it to venues, radio stations and promoters. I'd like to send it to 'zines and local press as applicable, but what priority should all of these fall into?

Next, how do I find the right promoters? Finding the promoters to begin with will be a challenge, but what should I be asking and researching before I put even a small financial investment(just sending the presskit) into them?

I'm doing everything within my power to make this happen, but I'm certain there are things that I've overlooked.

Anyone care to share any ideas, tips or good karma?