Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

local used DB a mystery

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by RyanHelms, Jul 25, 2004.

1. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I had gone to check out this local Mom-n-Pop music store after they moved locations. The guitar tech and I were talking about setting up bass action when I said that my thing lately (last year and a half or so) is electric fretless, and the idea of trying an upright keeps occuring to me. Well whaddya know, "Look behind that door" he says, pointing to an open door that leads somewhere else in the building.

I walk over, close the door, and there leaning in the corner is an upright. The owner and the tech guy crowd me as I check it out, meanwhile I'm wondering why the thing is behind a door and not in veiw. After I play for a minute, the owner says "That was $2000, but you can take it home for $1500." Whoa. Beveled ebony board, plywood top, finish is in a sad, sad state, and the only thing I could make out on the sticker inside was something about a "Stradivarius reproduction". I mean, this thing is beat. No idea how old or what maker. What should I be looking for? What's reasonable here, given there's no info about this bass whatsoever?

2. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Go home and forget it.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Basses like that can cost thousands to get into playable condition. I mean playable to a Double Bass player. It sounds like an old German Plywood Bass. The Neck may need re-setting, new fingerboard, bridge and even the Bass Bar on old plywoods can come loose and need replacing.

You need an expert opinion to see if the 2k Bass will cost you 1500 or $4,500 after repairs or more. Don't take the opinion of the seller. Get one from a pro Bassist that knows repairs and playability if not a good repairman that specializes in Basses.

4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I did go home. So now I'll forget it. That really burns me that he's gonna try to get that much for it from someone who doesn't know better...oh well. He should pay *me* to haul it out of there.

5. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Gawrsh - for $1500 you can get a brand new plywood bass from B. Gollihur (or, to be fair, other dealers as well). What you sees is probably what you gets. Or offer the guy $100. Naw - probably not worth that either.

6. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Prob'ly and maybe are two of the best words in the English language. He might have one that has good laminated sides, even a back, and might could put a carved front on it, if needed, and all those other possibilities. But really, if he thinks it could be interesting - the best advice has already been offered - get someone in the know to examine it. You are right.

7. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Easy fellahs...from the looks of it at the f-holes, it's reall looking like a laminate top.

Problem is, I don't know anybody around here who could check it out for me. Really.

edit: Phone number removed. sorry, that was out of line to post a # with ill intent.

I'll post up if anyhting should come of this UB. Until then, thanks guys for the helpful comments.

-Ryan