1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Locating Picks for Bass.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassman818, Jan 24, 2018.

1. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    I'm looking to try out some bass picks but it's hard to find an assortment.

If anyone has any to sell or know where to find some assorted Dunlop Primetone picks ranging from 1 to 3mm, Fender Tru-shell heavy/extra heavy, and dunlop big stubby 1 to 3mm, it would be greatly appreciated!

And any other picks that might be worth checking out, please let me know.

2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Might want to try the EBG side. You posted on the double bass side.

bassman818 likes this.
  3. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    Thanks!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    moved

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Indiedog and bassman818 like this.
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I get my picks from Clayton (no affiliation). I’m not sure what sizes they go up to. I’m in the minority of pick using bassists. I use .5mm

bassman818 likes this.
  7. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I found someone on Ebay who's willing to work with me.

8. electrichead

electrichead

Nov 29, 2013
    After trying about a hundred different shapes and materials I landed on the Dunlop Ultex 1.14s and loved them. I switched to the sharp version about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I have a very heavy right hand and they are the only ones I tried that would not deflect, crack, or split no matter what. It allowed me to drop the thickness. I've seen variety packs but can't remember who had them.

edit - https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Ultex-Guitar-Variety-Contains/dp/B075PFSBDF

Indiedog and bassman818 like this.
  9. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    The Ultex were of great interest to me as well. Thanks for reminding me!

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Dunlop USA Nylon 1mm for me! The black ones.

When I want an assortment, I go to the local shop and pick a few out of each bin. But for bass I'm always on the 1mm when I use a pick.

bassman818 likes this.
  11. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Bingo. After doing some research the other day I ordered two different shapes of V-Picks. They just arrived but I haven’t tried them yet. These are opaque white.

Thanks, electrichead for the Dunlop suggestion. They look good too.

electrichead and Killed_by_Death like this.
  12. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    V-Picks have definitely peaked my interest quite a bit. Trying to decide between a few different ones at the moment..

Gravity picks are another of interest.

There are just too many picks to decide from and making it very difficult!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  13. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I pick up a new V-Pick every few months & my latest is called a Saga. I like the bluntness of it & when I play with "normal" picks I use the blunt end instead of the pointy end:

saga1.jpg

My other fave is the Screamer:

productimage-picture-v-pick-screamer-clear-20096-63092.jpg

My former fave was the Memphis Belle, but they no longer make them:

memphis-belle-440-p.jpg
    It's actually a convex shape.

BTW, they make glow-in-the-dark ones also:

Tradition Lite GLOW - V-PICKS Guitar Picks | American Made Guitar Picks & Mandolin Picks

Hmm, just found out the Saga was designed for Mandolin :wideyed:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  14. bassman818

bassman818

Jan 24, 2018
    Well I asked if they could switch out the picks in the Mega Starter for the Bass Pack picks + a couple others to make it the same as the Mega Starter, (actually my way would have been cheaper for them as the bass pack is on sale), but they couldn't do it..

But it did make my life a whole lot easier, because I put the whole pick non sense behind me and bought a 12 pack of 2mm gator grips for $3 and change.

Maybe in the future. As for gravity... just too much going on and gives me a headache trying to select. I'll be rocking it old school for a while with my gators! Thanks again for the help!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021