Locating the sorce of old basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robsmirc, May 8, 2003.

1. I bought a left-handed Vantage bass second-hand a while ago and am curious of its origin. how old it is, and any other information that is available. Ownership of the Vantage name has changed since it was built and i can't find any info about them pre 90's. I'm guessing it was made early 80's or before.

Its a Vantage VS600B, made in Japan and its serial # is 1010532
    Bolt-on three piece neck 5 piece body with three lighter different wood strains through the center and darker stained wood from the neck to the outer horns.

I've searched the threads for it and found next to nothing regarding it. Is there any resorce on the net to search for information like this?
  2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    "Vantage" were made by the Japanese Company "Matsumoko" ..... more info here:

Hope this helps...

**Vantage guitars were built by the Matsumoko guitar factory in Japan, which were OEM suppliers to Univox,Aria, Westbury, Westone, Epiphone, Fender Japan and several other brands at the time.In 1988, a disastrous fire shut Matsumoko down for good, at which point, most of the brands went to Korea's Samick Musical Instruments to continue production.**