Location for Battery Box

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Warpeg, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I have a regular 'ol Fender MIM Jazz Bass with an Audere preamp in it. While the 9V battery can be replaced by removing the 3-screw control plate, I'd rather just have a seperate battery box that's accessible from the back of the bass.

I can take care of the routing and cable path drilling just fine, but I'm having difficulty knowing the best place to locate the battery box. Does anyone have any input on the most logical location for the battery box on the back of the bass? I'm trying to figure the location that would make the most sense in terms of a cable path and not interfering with the control cavity, etc.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Here's mine:

MimBack.jpg

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Basically any flat surface on the back that isn't under the bridge or pickup is fine. I'd put it close to the control cavity so drilling the wire hole is easy.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Be different: put it in the front!!

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This. Here is my Fender Jazz 24:
    psmQiLN.jpg

6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks for the input, everyone!

7. Turnaround's answer is pretty much what I was thinking when I read your initial post.

8. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Many years ago, I had an American Standard Jazz Bass and decided to install a set of EMG J's (active). Instead of stuffing the battery in the control cavity or routing for a battery box on the back of the bass, I decided to route a battery area under the pickguard. Aside from having to remove 10 screws and the small pickguard when I needed to change the battery, it was fairly convenient. At least I didn't have to worry about messing with the wiring in the control cavity for battery changes.

However, it does look like I should be able to use everyone's suggestions and route the hole for the box near the lower waist on the back.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I'd rather have it on the side like on acoustics.

10. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I'd always just assumed that the preamp location on the the side of acoustics led to the battery also being on the side. What is the benefit of having a battery compartment on the side of a solid-body bass?

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It's the insersion mecanism I dig. Flip it open, secure the battery and rotate, I like it better than a floating connector.
    It also looks clean and is almost invisible. EP-2935-000.jpg

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Here’s a battery compartment location on a top routed J. It’s an MIM Deluxe jazz. It’s just below and at the end of the control cavity. The way it’s routed opens a space between the battey compartment and control cavity so no additional drilling is required to run your battery wires. I ordered a top routed J body routed for a battery box instead of a battery compartment in the same location and it worked really well.

D932D117-E4A7-494A-8859-20ACBDB4B987.jpeg

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021