Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Location made? Quality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by balembic, Oct 18, 2003.

1. balembic

balembic

Oct 17, 2003
    Huntington, WV
    Since this is my first post I wanted to make it a good one, but please don't mistake me as a troll because of the topic or if it has been discussed here previously. I have spent a few days reading this board trying to catch up. Some of you may remember “JD’s Bass Page” back in the early days of the Internet … that was me. Wow has the community grown.

On to the subject…

I am no stranger to quality instruments; I have always bought the best that I can afford.
    I take that back, after years of buying, trading, and selling I finally ended up with instruments that are going to be with me the rest of my life. Anyway, I own a collection of guitars and basses from Alembic to Taylor to Warwick to Fender.

While visiting my local music store,(hanging out) I picked up a Telecaster that I fell in love with at first touch. I felt dirty for a little while since I am a Strat man on guitar but worse because I am a bass player. This girl felt right but after touching her I wanted her bad. Me and this Axe decided we were going home together so I asked the guy at the door…”How much” and he said, “For you, let me see…” He tapped on the calculator for a second and said, “$160”. I thought “there must be something wrong, it looks good it feels good, it’s too cheap, what’s wrong here”. I bought It.

After that we went home we had a fantastic time. We recorded songs, hung out together, laughed and cried together. Then one night I saw her sleeping there on the stand. I had the bright idea of sneaking up behind her and surprising her. Then I saw. I saw the tainted letters on her neck. “Made In China”

I thought about it for a minute before deciding “Does it really make a difference”?

2. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Return that guitar immediately!!!

Seriously... I played a fantastic tele squire the other day. Very impressive! Glad you found yours.

Pity about it being a guitar and all, though...:D

3. Welcome to your first Post!

You are a great writer!

I own a Squire, made by Fender 5 string bass, not my only 5 string, but this one is from Korea. It plays like a dream.

From my earlier posts most might get the idea that I'm a vintage Fender snob, but I'm not at all.(maybe a little)

I think you have a great player there and that's what matters!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome! I deleted your double post for you.

I personally could care less where an instrument is made - some of my nicest basses are Korean. I do admit Asian basses start out at a disadvantage - they have to prove themselves to me before I'll commit, whereas USA made ones get a bit of a free ride. IMO, anyway.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ironic and poignant.

6. Very true. I guess people (myself included) don't give those import models a try before playing the big USA ones. Some might be bad, some might play like a dream. Nice thread.

7. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i don't understand why everyone has to always add "it's not bad for a Korean bass"

obviously, the hand-made luthier culture is a different story, but as for mass manufactured basses, Korean factories may be setting a new standard for quality and efficiency.

Nobody says "wow, that Lexus sure is a nice car, ...for a japanese made car" and i think Kia and Daewoo are catching up quickly in terms of quality and reliability.

it's sad but true that just as the Big Three in Detroit are slumming big time... Made in USA often doesn't mean the same thing it used to.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think it's because basses were originally (and generally still are) built in Korea for reasons of economy.

9. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    It makes a difference in price. Labor is cheaper in China and Korea which is why so many axes are being made there.

Some stores don't carry American-made Laklands for example because they are too godawful expensive. The Korean ones are actually better besides being cheaper. My Schecter was made in Korea and it is superb.

Besides, if you like your Telecaster (I own one myself), who cares where it's made?

10. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I wonder when someone will come up and talk about the chinese and korean people work like slaves and etc.

Not that I don't agree but that's totally another story and doesn't necessarily mean that the product is no good.

11. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Don't believe everything you read. South Korea is not exactly wallowing in a low standard of living. As for China, there's so many people looking for work that I'm sure those who work making basses are very happy to be working at all. I'd rather be overworked than unemployed. In fact, I am overworked, come to think of it. Personally, I'd rather be overworked making basses. At least I'd be doing something I love.

Oh, there are some excellent basses out of Korea. Not sure about China but Korean basses are excellent.