1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Locationally challenged noob looking for a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fluffster, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Fluffster

Fluffster

Jun 7, 2007
    Hi! I'm an arctic newbie looking for a bit of advice, or reassurance ;)

I've been playing bass at my church and elsewhere for 14 years and am developing an itch I'll have to scratch soon: I'd really like to go fretless. Problem is, I've found exactly two fretless basses for sale here in Iceland, neither of which interests me, one rather nice acoustic and then a cheap, unsexy 5 stringer at the local rip-off shop. My current (only) bass is a bartolini'd Bass Collection 4-stringer I bought from the local YMCA for $100, shown here being put through its paces by my daughter :)

I'm starting to lean towards grabbing a warwick corvette off ebay, they seem to go for $700-ish there. I love the warwick sound and the sound of a fretless, but I've never heard a sound sample from a fretless corvette. Does anybody here have some experience with these beasts? I'm guessing that a bubinga corvette has a similar weight as a bubinga thumb. I've tried a few of those and am impressed. According to the datasheet, the corvette neck has very similar dimensions to my bass. Flying overseas to try before buying is unfortunately a complete non-starter.

I have been playing the cello for 23 years so I'm familiar with the unforgiving learning curve of fretless instruments and have a trained ear.

2. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I had a Corvette Std fretless and just ordered another one from Warwick's custom shop. The sound is fairly complex with good sustain. I found that it worked well for the jazz-related material where I wanted to take solos and do glissandos.

Unless I'm mistake the Corvette Std weighs about 2 pounds less than the bubinga Thumb bass. IMO the Corvette is better balanced too.

My new Corvette is going to be a short scale (30"), fretless with a wenge wood neck and black hardware. I've been medically advised to stick with shorties to avert tendon problems so I figured that if I was going to have to special order it I might as well spring for the Wenge neck too.

3. Fluffster

Fluffster

Jun 7, 2007
    Thank you, that sounds very good indeed!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021