Lock Picking

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Jan 23, 2006.

1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Lock pick set
    ...got this for X-Mas, and although I hadn't really tried until the past few days, I finally picked my first lock!

It definitely would've come in handy the few times I've locked my keys in my car. Anyone else pick locks?
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    with the right tools, I can. a looooooong time ago, my mom used to date a locksmith. he thought me to pick locks and how some of the tools work...
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I bought a cheapie pad lock just to practice on, I hope to take it apart to see exactly how it looks from the inside. It was really kind of easy once I got the feel for it. The deadbolt on our door feels similar. I haven't tried tackling a car door lock yet, I'll probably have to do some more reading for that.
  4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    yep, I've broken into my house by picking the locks on the front door, used my pocket knife tools and an assortment of bobby pins I keep on my person, my friend locked himself out and we used my knife to remove the molding on a pane of glass, get the glass pane off, unlock the door then replace the glass and molding, all in about 10 minutes.

picked the lock on my safe a couple of times when I lost the key, used a tiny metal nail file. broken into my cargo van with some of the listed items, and broken into my dads explorer with one of those tools made to do it.

i think i'll buy one of those sets simpley to lighten the amount of crap that can get lost in my jacket (combat cargo jacket)
  5. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Is it legal to sell a lock picking set?

Jeez, I didn't think I'd be asking questions like that until I was at least 30 or so...
  6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I bought the universal kit.

7. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

Now THAT was dang funny!!
  8. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I have a lock pick gun. Although I don't know how to use it. Anyone care to teach me?

Things really get fun when you get a 7 or 8 pin tubular lock pick. Then you can open up vending machines and payphones.
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What happens when you lock your lockpicking kit in the car with your keys?
  10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

This happens
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My uncle learned to do that for his job..investigator for the DA in Houston.

He can pick a master lock as quickly as it takes you to open it with a key. He can do other locks too but not sure how fast since I've only seen him do a masterlock.

brad cook
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, I find it kinda silly there's a keyring feature on that set.
  13. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

taught my two boys how to turn a two penny nail into a pick that works on some Master locks really well. The next day I come home and the garage door is open with half the neighborhood kids inside shaping nails and picking locks.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  14. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Every year I go to Defcon (a hacker convention held in Vegas) and they have a lockpicking contest.. I watched one guy bust one in something like 2.7 seconds..

And as far as their legality, I feel it's the same argument against CD burners and VCR's. Just because you own one doesn't mean you're doing anything illegal with it. Owning a CD burner doesn't mean you're sitting in your room making thousands of illegal copies of an album... You probably use them the same way thousands of others do. You archive your pr0n collection and burn yourself the occasional mix cd.. ;)
  15. I only used a lock pick once. I broke into this big house with loads of jewelry - uh, nvm. :bag:
  16. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It's more of a question of ethics. Some online stores wouldn't sell to non-locksmiths (I believe there is a locksmith license?). I don't think I'd be coordinated enough to use it for illegal purposes, anyway.
  17. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had to do it at work, when we didn't have a key to the cash drawer. Used a paperclip and a pocketknife. Quite easy. I might buy a wallet pick set, just so I can insure my wife doesn't get locked out of the car.
  18. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If the link doesn't work, then just google "the MIT guide to lock picking."
  19. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I've been to the MIT site. I think depending on the state you live in it's pretty not legal unless you're a locksmith to have lock picking tools.
    (sorry if that doesn't make sense i've been studying for a while.)
  20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    how was there not a key for the drawer?