1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Locking 1/4" Guitar Cable?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Clouz, Dec 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola

Jan 26, 2013
    Is anyone aware of a guitar cable that will lock into place when inserted? I have a Shure GLXD4 receiver base that the cable comes loose when I play and I thought I saw a cable once that had a small button on it you had to push before you could pull it out. I'm tired of using electrical tape to hold it in place. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    No experience with the Shure you mentioned , but I've never had a cable come out... before I went wireless , I used, and still have a Planet Waves cable for years. Still use it from time to time.
    I use a short , 18" I think, Monster Cable from my G30 wireless to bass and it fits really snug.. it's not going anywhere .
    I've seen friends use the cheap $10 Musicians Friend cables and never had an issue.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    The only locking quarter inch cables I am aware of involve the jack. There is a locking Switchcraft jack that is used on three of my basses: Washburn Bantam, Dingwall AB1, and Ibanez BTB33. There is also a locking plug on the newer Line6 wireless transmitters, but that involves a special plug that screws into a threaded jack.

4. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Loop the cable through your strap. Problem solved.

5. Clouz

Jan 26, 2013
    the problem is at the receiver on the wireless guys. sorry i have edited my question. thanks

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    That cable with a button was a mute switch, not a lock.

Some plugs might be a hair thicker. Try going to a srore and seeif you find one that fits more snug.

I assume there is no way to open the housing for the unit. The other option is to carefully insert a probe, and try to bend the prong. But I think tape is the safer option.

lz4005, Dustin Ewing and Clouz like this.
  7. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Sounds like the retaining clip on the inside of the receiver is not functioning for whatever reason. The jack on the receiver will have to be replaced.

That may not be an easy job, considering how those little are made. I've not seen the inside of that particular unit, so I can't advise. I'd take to an electronics shop and have them disassemble the unit to see if the jack can be replaced.

Oddly and LowActionHero like this.
  8. As mentioned, there are locking jacks, but not locking plugs. The plugs with the little switch are for silencing/muting it while you plug in/out.

Rezdog likes this.
  9. Clouz

Jan 26, 2013
    well thanks for the responses. opening it would require a torx screw driver and the smallest one i have is too big. but i think i will just stick to tape for now.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you can open the housing, all you would haveto do is bend the prong that holds the cable in place down a tad.

11. I've seen some wireless gear with 1/8 inch locking connectors. It has a collar on the plug that screws to threads around the jack. Sennheiser I think does this on some of their stuff. Perhaps you can purchase the jacks and plugs and retrofit to your system?

12. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    Which wireless ? See my post above... I'm using a Line 6 G30 ... didn't like the flimsy stock cable... ordered a short , 18", I think, Monster Cable . .. works perfectly

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  13. Dustin Ewing

Dustin Ewing

Oct 15, 2016
    Virginia
    Buldog is right, get yourself a torx bit that will work, it should be super easy once the housing is opened and the jack is exposed. It's not as hard to fix as you might think.

Clouz likes this.
  14. If you're going to open up the box, you might like to consider replacing the Jack.

I can't help but be concerned that bending the tip contact will only be a temporary fix.
    If the Jack is something cheap, you might consider replacing it with a Switchcraft one.
    If room permits, get a Tip, Ring, Sleeve Jack rather than the Tip, Sleeve that is probably in there now.
    I rebuilt the electronics on a bass. The Tip contact was weak on the bass's Jack and the plug didn't stay in very well.
    I thought that bending it back to hold better might just weaken it more and make it looser over time.
    After putting in the TRS, the Jack now has two contacts pressing against the barrel of the plug.
    The plug is almost too tight now, though it will loosen over time.
    You won't need to hook anything to the Ring connection, just leave it as is.

Bending the contact in a little is a good quick fix. With a quality connector doing that may serve you well for a long time. All the rest is just food for thought.

Clouz likes this.
  15. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    honestly sounds like you got a bad jack. I'd replace it with a trs jack. I'm switching my bass jack to one. because it locks the plug with two clicks- and you don't change the lock or fit. plus they are readily available

Clouz likes this.
  16. Old Garage-Bander and Clouz like this.
  17. Clouz

Jan 26, 2013
    here's a pic of the rx. 1/4 jack on the right hooks to the in on the amp. i think i'm going to open the box and do surgery and see if i can use a trs jack. thanks guys. once i get it open i'll post some pics.

glxd4-back_10_cols.

18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Assuming you can open that box....replace the jack. Problem solved.

Clouz likes this.
  19. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    It's quite possible (likely?) that the jack is mounted on the circuit board. If so, trying to bend the prong could cause damage.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  20. This looks like a really good thing. If it fits in your box I recommend this over my previous recommendation.