1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

locking bow case recommendation needed

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by ifg, Oct 13, 2016.

1. ifg

ifg

May 4, 2011
    brooklyn, ny
    hi all,

i'm seeking a bow case (french) that has a combo lock on it. found a few options online, but thought it would be informative to crowdsource here too. if anyone has any recommendations, i'd be very grateful.

thanks,
    jonathan

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Just curious as to why you want this. Seems like a bowcase is no harder to steal than a bow out of its case.

3. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    That occurred to me too.....

4. ifg

ifg

May 4, 2011
    brooklyn, ny
    Good question. I'm in a school studio with a shared (bass-only) room and some of my classmates apparently have minor boundary issues when it comes to borrowing gear like wheels, etc. I noticed some rosin on my bow the other day that wasn't mine — don't want to lay down accusations that would be hard to support, and don't want to vibe out the room by sending rulesetting emails or hanging signage (that would be ignored anyway) and this seemed like a decent stop gap. I don't think there are thieves in the room — this would be more a means to discourage usage of my (not cheap) gear by way of inconvenience.

5. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    I don't think I'd have any issues at all laying it out in black and white.

Ensemble rule #1: Don't ever touch another musician's instrument without permission.

A bow's not an accessory. It's part of your instrument.

Your roomies need to learn this sooner rather than later.

RSBBass, Neil Pye and salcott like this.
  6. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
    What he said. I treated myself to a top quality bow not so long ago. If any of my section picked it up without my permission, they'd know all about it. Spell it out, set the boundaries, it's perfectly reasonable to do that regardless of the value of the bow in question

7. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Ah. That's a very good explanation! I never would have guessed this. Despite the other posts, simply informing your colleagues that you don't want them using your bow without permission may not be enough. Try playing them this clip: